Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pegleg48

Eggplant and Broccoli (fall garden advice)

pegleg48
11 years ago

A few things here:

Eggplant: I've got a couple eggplant plants that are growing quite nicely and getting plenty of flowers, but every one has dropped after a few days. I'm guessing they're not getting pollinated properly. I will try hand-pollinating.

Also, I have the container in a relatively wind-protected spot so maybe they need more breeze?

If I can get fruit to set, do you think I'll have enough time before October to harvest a few? (Black Beauty, are supposed to get big, but smaller ones are fine)

Broccoli: I tried to start a few seedlings indoors, and several sprouted, but while away for a week, they all decided to die since I didn't have anyone watering my indoor plants.

At this point, would it be better to start more indoors, or direct seed and pray?

Also, what grows well with Broccoli? I have seeds for carrots, beets, kale, lettuce. I'll be using a pretty deep container (24" apx), so there should be space.

The weather has returned to normal temperatures here, finally, though there's not much rain in the forecast.

Any advice always appreciated.

Thanks

Peg

Comments (4)

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA