Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When to or not to pull beans

Posted by wantonamara 8bTx (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 15, 10 at 13:40

I have summer cow peas of various types in my SMALL garden in a Central Texas garden. They have slowed down because of the heat but I see flowers still. I am looking to plant a fall vegetables. Do you think I will get another blush of beans or should I pull them and plant more snap beans instead. They seem to make beans but the beans are not getting bigger and stay in a juvenile state. My vining rattlesnake beans , half runners are also doing the same thing. Their vines are growing fine and flowering, but the beans are slow to develop in the heat (103 today). Space is of the essence in this garden and I am still not sure when is a good time to pull plants. It is about time to plant string beans for fall so I know if I am going to act now is the time. I pulled some tomatoes and replanted last year and the ones that I kept from spring planting did better than the ones that I planted and the ones that I trimmed up. So I am wondering if these green beans will put on another flush when the cooler weather comes, or should I give up on them.? what are your thoughts??? I did pull my squash due to Borers and planted new hills. Cukes have been planted. too.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When to or not to pull beans

I have the same problem. I think I will pull some and leave some, as most are still blooming and the tiny beans do size up.

I read somewhere that, counting from the first bean harvest, beans in general may be harvested over a period of six weeks. So, if you are approaching the end of the six-week harvesting period, it may be time to pull those plants as they will not produce much from this point onward.

In any case, bean quality decreases after a while, so even if you would get more beans, they would probably not be as good as your first harvest. I guess the question is just how much of your fall crops you would be willing to sacrifice for a little bit of older beans.

Depending on what you want to plant in their stead, you may also want to try interplanting the beans and then later just cutting them to the ground instead of pulling them. That way, you can keep harvesting your beans but you can also get started on some fall veggies. Spinach and lettuce would be good candidates for this. By the time they need the sunlight, the beans will be out of the picture. You can pull half of them (in a checkered pattern) and leave the rest to make room for fall crops. By the time the fall crops size up and need the extra room, you will have cleared the rest of your beans.

o
RE: When to or not to pull beans

If time and space are important in planting new plants I would pull the ones that are past their prime. They may still produce some peas but not at the rate new plants will.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here