Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Why did my Purple Cone Flower die?

Posted by tim_the_gardner 8 (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 9, 12 at 14:00

This is the first time I have ever grown a purple cone flower , and I started this plant from seed. I had one good flower bloom and was really nice, and had more flowers developing. For some unknown reason, the leaves started drooping and the plant began to die. Since it was in a pot, I figured that it was not getting enough water and that the pot was drying out in this 100+ degree heat (Texas). So I began watering it every day. The leaves still kept drooping, and I knew it was about to die if I didnt do something. I tried coating the leaves with a mild organic insecticide and even gave the plant a small amount of water soluble fertilizer. Nothing worked, and it kicked the bucket - as you can see in the photo attached. What happened? Too much Texas sun? Did I over-water? I've been gardening for a long time, but never had this happen. Very unusual. Thanks,

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

Tim

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Why did my Purple Cone Flower die?

Not sure what the reason but why in a pot, no place to plant your flower? I have never had a problem with them the first year they flower but they never seem to come back the following year. I read somewhere that this far south they are a short lived Perennial. So I have given away all my seeds but have planted some yellow ones and a White one in the hopes they survive more than one or two years. I love their blooms as they last over a month before they start to lose their color. You will just have to keep trying that is the fun anyway.

o

My coneflowers are in the ground, but I'm in central Indiana and we're in a drought and have had mostly above 90 degree temps all summer. Alot of my plants look dead. But I think they will probably still come back next year.......so don't pull yours just yet. This was the worst summer ever for my coneflowers. The goldfinches will probably still like the seeds on yours too.

o

"So I began watering it every day"

This is your most likely problem. They hate wet roots, they need oxygen reaching the roots more-so than many plants.

If you're watering because you see drooping...wait until the sun goes down for a little while and check the plant response. Many plants will intentionally wilt (even with enough soil moisture) when it's intensely hot in order to expose less surface area to the sun (in order to conserve water being respirated off the leaves as well as preventing actual leaf damage/burn).

If the plant is still wilted after the sun is no longer beating down it probably needs a bit of water.

o

Thanks everyone. It happened really quickly... Here's a photo of the plant that was taken a few days before it just died.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Tim

o

I don't know your watering practices but over watering is one problem that watering won't help. Purple coneflower likes well drained soil and they thrive in hot summers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here