Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wolverine1012

sterile tomatillo

wolverine1012
10 years ago

I have gotten conflicting thoughts about why my single tomatillo has blossomed profusely, but has failed to set fruit.

Do I need two to tango, or can they pollinate from tomatoes and peppers, that are nearby and all doing quite well?

This is my first tomatillo year and I was excitedly awaiting fruit, but have now given up for this year. Unless I get a miraculous cure, the plant comes out next week to make room for something else that I can hopefully get fruit from yet this year.

Comments (6)

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Yes you need two plants at least. While you might get a few fruit set with only one it is always minimal if at all.

Dave.

• jimster
    10 years ago

Be aware that the husks form first, followed by the fruit, which then grow inside the husks. Don't give up too soon.

Jim

• seysonn
    10 years ago

There are conflicting views on the subject.

IF you need TWO plants it means that one is male and the other female. Then what if you get two female plants or two males ??!!

Years ago there was a similar discussion here on GW. To experiment , I went and bought just ONE plant. Sure enough it produced fine. This year again I bought just one plant. It has been flowering for ever and no fruit. But finally, I see one husk is forming. Tomatillo is a member of Night Shade family, like tomato, pepper, eggplant. They have the so-called perfect flower, meaning both male and female parts are present in each flower. My take on this is that, if the plant is not fruiting because(for some reason) the plant is aborting the flowers.

I will report on this later.

• greenmulberry
    10 years ago

I always plant two. Just to be safe, since some report poor results with one.

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

IF you need TWO plants it means that one is male and the other female.

No it doesn't. Just like tomato plants the tomatillo plants don't have separate sexes.

Having two increases the number of blooms at the same time and the amount of available pollen 200 fold so adequate pollination for a good crop is also increased. Same holds true for squash plants for example.

if you want to hand pollinate 1 plant or raise your own bees fine. Otherwise multiple plants is the way to go.

Dave

• nancyjane_gardener
    10 years ago

The first time I tried, I just got one plant and very few fruit. Then I gave up for a couple of years!
    Last year a volunteer came up, and I had bunches!
    This year I planted 2 and am getting so so amounts, but I still have almost 3 months of time before it starts getting cold!
    Good luck! Nancy