Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Freezing Crowder Peas?

Posted by mommap TN (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 7, 08 at 14:14

Just picked a bushel, and shelled them (whew!) Now, how do I freeze them? Throw in a baggie and go---- or dip in boiling water first?

Thank you so much..

Thumbs are hurting,

Momma P

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Freezing Crowder Peas?

The link below has the info you need.

Enjoy the peas. My purple hulls are producing well. It won't be long now before I can pick. I don't expect a bushel.

Jim

Here is a link that might be useful: How to Freeze Blackeye or Field Peas

o
RE: Freezing Crowder Peas?

I've been putting up purple hull peas for years which are similar to crowders and they are a breeze! Get a big pot of water boiling and pour in the shelled peas. Wait about a minute or two and pour them out into a colander to drain. I then refill the water pot with cold water and some ice cubes, pour the peas back in the pot to cool them instantly and then re-drain. Bag them up in freezer bags in meal-size portions, seal and freeze.
They are so good to bring out during the cold winter months. It tastes like summer all over again.
Enjoy!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here