Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Picking Butternut Squash

Posted by Springy none (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 5, 14 at 14:27

I have read and read and read and everything seems to say to leave butternut squash on the vine until the vine starts to die/before the 1st frost.

I have one that looks like it will be ready soon-- do I still leave it on until the vine dies/1st frost (I am in MA.) or do I remove it in hopes that removing it will plump up the other small butternut squash on the vine?

Does it work the way it does with cucumbers that removing it makes room for more growth? & Won't it be gigantic? Its already looking so big!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Picking Butternut Squash

In any case I would leave it on until it turns a pinkish tan with a hard half dried stem. rather than being almond color.

o

is that before or after the almond color?

o

After.

o

My first butternut is ripe in June. If I left them on the vine until the first frost, it would be six months later! So leaving them on the vine that long is nonsense. Butternut is ripe when the fruit is beige, and the longitudinal green stripes are gone, or mostly gone. It's that simple.

o

@daninthedirt - what i have read says to leave until the vine starts to die OR first frost.

So, my question is really whether there is any benefit to leaving them on the vine until after they turn beige (assuming the vine looks good and first frost has not arrived.)

Or if it is better to remove it as soon as it turns beige to give the other butternut squash more nutrients/etc.

o

Well, here in the south, if you wait until the first frost, it could be years! Now, it is often true that the vine will die as the squash is ripening. If the vine is dead and gone, you might as well pick it and hope for the best. I've never seen any value in leaving them on the vine after they get ripe. It's certainly not good for either that squash or any other squashes on the vine.

I've occasionally had vines die while the green stripes are still faintly visible and the squash aren't quite beige. No big deal. They'll still be fine to eat.

The "pick before first frost" rule is an "up north" rule that, I think, saves you the trouble of deciding if it is ripe. I've never really understood it. I think the point is that you may get a frost before they are ripe. If you do, best to have the fruit off the vine.

o

The issue is storage. The more mature the squash, the better it keeps in storage.

Ripe-to-eat and Ripe-to-store are two distinct things.

o

That's a good point. I don't have a lot of expertise with that, but my fully beige butternuts last about a year at room temperature.

One good hint for winter squash storage I've learned is, before putting them away, wash well and then dip in water with some bleach added to it. That kills the surface bacteria.

o

@ltilton- thank you!! that must be the reason I am reading to keep them on the vine as long as possible. it must be the storage issue. I will go ahead and pick that large one once ready and a few more as we plan to eat them and keep the ones I plan to store on the vine as long as possible.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here