Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Potatoes

Posted by ron815 NC (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 13, 14 at 14:27

Read where you can pretty much grow potatoes year round. I live in the piedmont of NC. Want to grow them in containers. Can't find seed potatoes now. Any suggestions on this subject?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Potatoes

I just harvested some French fingerlings that I bought at the supermarket and planted when my seed order was late.

o

• Posted by glib 5.5 (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 13, 14 at 15:11

you can grow them year round if you are in a frost free area. they will die to the ground if frosted.

o

I live in Piedmont or hills of NC as well. This is my second year of attempting to grow potatoes. Everything here is for spring,summer gardening isn't it? Have you tried or heard of Woodprarie Farm? I've not ordered from them yet but they should know their stuff.

o

Thanks for the advice. I tried Woodprarie a couple of times today, but just got recording. I realize that frost will kill potatoes but can bring containers inside.

o

If your weather anything like ATL, GA, now is the time to plant fall crop. It might be a bit too late but you never know. If you get nice fall weather you can harvest some.

Potatoes like cooler soil, cool nights .That is why in ATL< GA, I had to plant around early march and harvested around early July.

o

Thanks everyone. Can't find seed potatoes anywhere so I'll just buy some at WallyWorld and see what happens.

o

NC is too far north to get much (if anything) from planting potatoes at this time. If you are going to go to the trouble of filling large pots and lugging them inside when frost comes might as well choose something that will give results.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here