Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oilpainter_gw

The best way to freeze corn.

oilpainter
13 years ago

I have been gardening and canning and freezing garden produce for more years than I care to remember. All the family loves corn on the cob. I tried many ways to freeze it--freezing it in the husk--blanching in boiling water--just about any way you can do it I have tried. I always used just picked corn. We could always taste the cob so it never tasted like fresh corn.

Then I discovered steaming--it worked like a charm and the corn in the middle of winter tasted like fresh corn. I now have a steaming kettle but at first I used my roasting pan, 4 tuna cans and a cake rack. I filled the tuna cans with water and set them on the bottom of the roaster, then filled the roaster with water up to the top of the cans and set it on the burner. Then put in a cake rack so it was resting on the cans.

Turn on the burner on and bring the water to a boil. With a tongs lay the corn on the rack and put on the lid.

5 minutes for large cobs--3 minutes for small cobs

Immediately dunk in ice water to stop cooking. let sit for a while to dry off and package in meal size packages in freezer bags.

To use--thaw completely--I bring mine up when I get my meat out to thaw. Microwave for a minute or drop in boiling water for 10 minutes.

The best tasting frozen corn on the cob you'll ever taste. Not a hint of cob taste, because the cob is never cooked. The cob does get soft from freezing though so don't bite too deep

Comments (5)