Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When to harvest lemon cucumbers

Posted by schoolhouse z5/ohio (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 5, 08 at 14:37

I did some research but came up with two different opinions.
One site said to pick when the cukes are light green with a blush of yellow. Another says when they are no more than 3" and are all yellow. I have one cuke that just now has the beginnings of faint yellow stripes, probably 3" and a spot of orange where it meets the stem. Stem is bright green.

Should I wait some more on that little bugger?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When to harvest lemon cucumbers

Boy, I only grew them once, but picked them whenever I wanted. Cukes really don't 'get ripe', they are always 'ripe' so just harvest at whatever size you wish understanding leaving them too long results in deterioration of texture so earlier rather than later is safer.

o

I let mine turn yellow. I have one hill with 3 or 4 plants and have dozens of lemon cukes. They are fun to give away.

o

daryljurassic - so you don't use a trellis? My vines are not very nice at all, leaf wilt and all because of the beetle more than likely. But I also wondered if my continued fussing with the vines, to keep them tied and on the trellis caused injury. Some vines were determined to go their own way along the ground, and those seem to be fairing better.
There are three plants about a foot apart.

o

They are planted on a hill near the corner of my garden. I would say 40% on the ground and 60% spread across a 4' tall fence. A few offshoots are going up some mammoth sunflowers. They can get pretty crazy... This is my second year growing this variety. They are a hit! I may look for an additional exotic cuke for next year. I think there's an orange one out there.

o

Well, my vines look sick; but there are many little cukes coming on like I said. Truthfully, I don't know if I'm watering too little or too much. Temps are so high right now and no rain. However, new vines continue to trail where they can. Tonight, I thought about tearing all three plants down; but I'll wait and give three nicely formed fruit a chance to mature some more. This may not be the cucumber for my garden. Sigh.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here