Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
'some' yellow cucumbers????

Posted by kwyet1 z6 CT (kwyet1@hotmail.com) on
Wed, Aug 19, 09 at 14:41

..Why are 'some' of my cucumbers suddenly turning yellow?? They are full size, but are yellow instead of green. There are plenty more cucumber on the same plant that are ripening green. What happened to these few and can I still eat them?? Will they be bitter??
Thanks,
Linda

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 'some' yellow cucumbers????

Yellow often means left on the vine too long. Cukes are best used at an immature stage so harvesting while sill green and smaller then you are letting them get should solve the problem for you. They cross that line from just right to too old quickly so daily or even 2x daily picking is often needed.

Yes they are still safe to eat, just past prime.

Dave

o

I don't think so because they have been yellow since they were pretty small...I have some nice green ones that are much larger. There are only two like this...the rest are nice and green.
Thanks,
Linda

o

If they are as you describe, then your growing conditions (PH, nutrients, minerals, watering.) are not corrects.
It could also be the variety. I know that Korean cucumbers are mostly white with some green color; A japanes variety is dark green, Armenian is light yllow-green, etc.

How do the leaves of the vines look? Are they pale gree, nice green, dark green???
cyrus

o

Hi,
The leaves are a nice healthy green....all of the plants are growing well....this is just an 'all of a sudden a few' situation where most of the cucumbers are still growing into a healthy green...but about 3 cucumbers (total) on 2 different plants were never green...just were yellow from the beginning and are now large and yellow. They are just a common slicing variety.
Thanks,
Linda

o

Taste them.

I have had summer squash go from producing yellow to producing green squashes. But they tasted good.

o

Thanks,
I have picked them and will try one this evening! The newer cukes on the same vine are growing green just fine.
These few were just wierd and I was afraid something had gone wrong....but I guess not.
Thanks all,
Linda

o

my cuke have been growing 1 month and i had 5 large yellow ones and they are solid and not spoiled...can i go ahead and pickle them...i love the bread and butter pickles.
please answer soon i picked the large ones.

o

I went away on vacation for 2 weeks and I had tiny green cucs that turned as bright a yellow as the squash hey were planted next to. I have pickled them, eaten them in salads and they are fine. The only difference is as cucumbers go they are a bit "tougher" in texture than the younger greener versions. But they are great for pickles.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here