Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
taking dry flowers off of eggplant

Posted by krissylovesplants79 none (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 26, 13 at 14:49

I am growing sicikian eggplant and I initially thought I only had two eggplant but I noticed under two dry flowers exists two eggplant, and I think I see more. I actually took the dry flower off of the two to see what was under it. Could I have ruined the fruit or stopped it from growing?

This post was edited by krissylovesplants79 on Mon, Aug 26, 13 at 14:52

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: taking dry flowers off of eggplant

Possibly but there is no way to know for sure or not. It will depend on how much of the bloom was removed or if any damage was done to the stem core.

Best to just leave them alone and let them do what comes naturally. If it can't recover it will just fall off the plant.

Dave

o

Well the eggplants are still there but they are the size of chick peas. The rest of them I guess I should just leave be. The psrt I took off was the dried up flower at the end of the fruit. I kept tge outer part that holds the fruit.

This post was edited by krissylovesplants79 on Tue, Aug 27, 13 at 9:07

o

• Posted by digdirt 6b-7a North AR (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 27, 13 at 17:11

psrt I took off was the dried up flower at the end of the fruit

That won't hurt anything IF the bloom has actually been pollinated. But there is no reason to do it either. If you leave it alone it will fall off on its own. Not all blooms will set fruit and sometimes what you think is a small fruit the size of the pea is just the ovule of the bloom that will shrivel and die.

But basically it doesn't help the plant in anyway for you to do "house-keeping" on it and you can do damage so yes, it is best to just leave them alone except to monitor for pests.

Dave

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here