Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anniesgranny_gw

Planting tomatoes near raspberries?

anniesgranny
15 years ago

I'm planning on planting rasperries in raised beds next year. I know you aren't supposed to plant them where tomatoes have grown, but I'm wondering if there would be danger in growing tomatoes NEAR the rasperry beds if I plant them in containers. I have four perfect places for trellising cherry tomatoes up the fence, but of course the containers would have drainage holes, so would there be a chance of contaminating the raspberries?

TIA

Granny

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie's Kitchen Garden

Comments (10)

• flora_uk
    15 years ago

I've never heard that you shouldn't plant raspberries near tomatoes. What are they supposed to do to each other? Your raspberries will be in their bed for years. They should be undisturbed and they need a lot of space because they will spread. So it's best not to plant anything with them. Where the tomatoes go is flexible because they are annuals and can be moved around every year. I would have thought the main problem wuld be that the raspberries would shade the tomatoes out if they were nearby.

• anniesgranny
    Original Author
    15 years ago

You should not plant raspberries where tomatoes, potatoes, peppers, or eggplant have been grown within the past four years, because these crops carry a root rot called Verticillium that can also attack raspberries.

I hadn't planned on planting anything at all WITH the rapberries, but wondered if verticillium could be transferred to them if the tomatoes were close by. I would think, since the roots of the tomatoes would be confined to containers, that there shouldn't be a problem.

Granny

• calliope
    15 years ago

I also read that strawberries are like that too. I put in a large new strawberry bed, and it's in virgin ground. But they're susceptible to verticillium and are at risk when planted in old nightshade beds without going fallow for a few years.

I also read that red raspberries should not be planted anywhere near black raspberries. That red raspberries carry some sort of virus. It doesn't affect the red raspberries, but it can be passed on to black raspberries and they show symptoms. My red and black raspberries are acres apart from the other.

• Beeone
    15 years ago

Tomatoes, potatoes, and raspberries are susceptible to a disease called purple top, along with a number of other diseases they can share, such as verticillium. As a result, if one has the disease and the others are planted in close proximity, it can spread. If they don't have it, then it doesn't matter how close you plant them.

I would recommend a minimum of 4-5 feet between the raspberries and tomatoes, even if they are in pots. A bit more separation would be better, though.

• anniesgranny
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you, beeone. That was my thought too, but I wondered if I was being too cautious.

Annie's Granny

• malvers1
    15 years ago

I have planted my raspberry bushes right next to my black raspberry bushes does anybody know if this will cause a problem? My veggie garden is 4-5 feet away from them in raised beds should I move the bushes or do you think it will be fine. Also I have a grape vine close by would this cause more problems? This being my first time planting berry bushes, I don't want to cause a problem with my veggie garden or grape vine. Please let me know

• Youssef Barakat
    7 years ago

Guys can somebody share their experience of planting raspberries with another plant?
    Its been 8 years since this post was created :)
    I am quitting my career to start a raspberry farm. And planting raspberries alone isn't an option that seems to be profitable all by itself, considering the land I would be exploiting.

• digdirt2
    7 years ago

You might want to post over on the Fruits & Orchards forum here for better feed back. Including your location/climate information would help make the info even more relevant. Also are you considering perennial crops only?

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/fruit

Dave

• daninthedirt (USDA 9a, HZ9, CentTX, Sunset z30, Cfa)
    7 years ago

Verticillium hasn't changed in eight years. All the ag extensions suggest that raspberries NOT be planted where tomatoes, potatoes, peppers, or eggplant have been in the last few years. This isn't about not planting raspberries WITH other plants, as in, some anti-companion plant strategy, but just about planting them where disease may have festered. At a new location, I see no problem planting them together, though to the extent verticillium appears, you lose one years worth of solonaceae and perhaps many years growth of raspberries. Curiously, blackberries are not as seriously affected. To the extent solonaceae seedlings come from another source, a bed can be infected by them.