Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Planting tomatoes near raspberries?

Posted by anniesgranny 6b (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 19, 08 at 14:58

I'm planning on planting rasperries in raised beds next year. I know you aren't supposed to plant them where tomatoes have grown, but I'm wondering if there would be danger in growing tomatoes NEAR the rasperry beds if I plant them in containers. I have four perfect places for trellising cherry tomatoes up the fence, but of course the containers would have drainage holes, so would there be a chance of contaminating the raspberries?

TIA
Granny

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie's Kitchen Garden

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Planting tomatoes near raspberries?

I've never heard that you shouldn't plant raspberries near tomatoes. What are they supposed to do to each other? Your raspberries will be in their bed for years. They should be undisturbed and they need a lot of space because they will spread. So it's best not to plant anything with them. Where the tomatoes go is flexible because they are annuals and can be moved around every year. I would have thought the main problem wuld be that the raspberries would shade the tomatoes out if they were nearby.

o

You should not plant raspberries where tomatoes, potatoes, peppers, or eggplant have been grown within the past four years, because these crops carry a root rot called Verticillium that can also attack raspberries.

I hadn't planned on planting anything at all WITH the rapberries, but wondered if verticillium could be transferred to them if the tomatoes were close by. I would think, since the roots of the tomatoes would be confined to containers, that there shouldn't be a problem.

Granny

o

I also read that strawberries are like that too. I put in a large new strawberry bed, and it's in virgin ground. But they're susceptible to verticillium and are at risk when planted in old nightshade beds without going fallow for a few years.

I also read that red raspberries should not be planted anywhere near black raspberries. That red raspberries carry some sort of virus. It doesn't affect the red raspberries, but it can be passed on to black raspberries and they show symptoms. My red and black raspberries are acres apart from the other.

o

Tomatoes, potatoes, and raspberries are susceptible to a disease called purple top, along with a number of other diseases they can share, such as verticillium. As a result, if one has the disease and the others are planted in close proximity, it can spread. If they don't have it, then it doesn't matter how close you plant them.

I would recommend a minimum of 4-5 feet between the raspberries and tomatoes, even if they are in pots. A bit more separation would be better, though.

o

Thank you, beeone. That was my thought too, but I wondered if I was being too cautious.

Annie's Granny

o
RE: Planting tomatoes near raspberries and blackraspberry

I have planted my raspberry bushes right next to my black raspberry bushes does anybody know if this will cause a problem? My veggie garden is 4-5 feet away from them in raised beds should I move the bushes or do you think it will be fine. Also I have a grape vine close by would this cause more problems? This being my first time planting berry bushes, I don't want to cause a problem with my veggie garden or grape vine. Please let me know

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here