Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chaman_gw

Garden Picture 2014

chaman
9 years ago

I would like to share my garden pic. of 2014. I would appreciate viewing pic. of your garden of this year.

Comments (33)

• chaman
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Peanuts and Beans pic. - 2014

• elisa_z5
    9 years ago

Nice photos!
    I always enjoy seeing others' gardens -- but am no good at uploading photos myself.

• loribee2
    9 years ago

Very pretty! I could easily spend time relaxing in that chair. Everything looks lush and thriving.

• hudson___wy
    9 years ago

Your garden looks great Chaman - I'm with you - I love to see pics of other gardener's gardens - so am going to share. Here is a photo of our raised beds - onions, beets, carrots, asparagus - and strawberries.

{{gwi:103220}}

Then our larger garden area - peas, beans, carrots, beets, onions, broccoli, cabbage, brussel sprouts, potatoes, squash and raspberries.

{{gwi:103221}}

• Mod317 (Zone 5a - SW Ontario)
    9 years ago

This is my organic community garden this year. I grow vegetables and flowers for cutting. My plot is 10 ft x 50 ft.

This was taken July 10

{{gwi:103222}}

This is today Aug 4

{{gwi:103223}}

• erin_nc
    9 years ago

Great gardens!

This post was edited by erin_nc on Wed, Aug 6, 14 at 15:30

• zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
    9 years ago

Wow... love that hanging garden. How to you keep the soil up there? ;-)

• lantanascape
    9 years ago

Those are some gorgeous gardens! Hudson, I think yours is bordering more on being a farm!

Here is mine, taken about a month ago. Really need to get some new ones now that things are really filling out.
    {{gwi:103224}}

Lots of volunteer sunflowers that I let grow this year:
    {{gwi:103226}}

• erin_nc
    9 years ago

Ha ha! I've given it some serious thought- dirt up there. Those are volunteer birdhouse gourds from last year and luffa coming up from the ground. They are my shade option for the NC sun on my deck. Fortunately, they get 30' in a season. 16' up and 16' across.

It's hard to see in the pic, but the Tomato Tree to the left is about 10'. I'm kinda wondering how I'm going to pick when they are ready.

Erin

• chaman
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Tons of Tindora (Coccinia grandis) this year.

• changingitup
    9 years ago

Such lovely gardens! Here is my little urban 'peace' ;)
    Potatoes, tomatoes, eggplants, peppers, cucumbers, onions, green beans. I just reseeded beets, turnips, sugar peas, Cilantro, bok choy and looking for a place to plant some Rubine Brussel sprouts which are new to me, as are most of these things since I've just recently become more than a tom, cukes, zukes gardener!

{{gwi:103230}}

Herbs and Cool weather garden. Trying to over summer broccoli, lettuce, chard, kale as well as freshly seeded spinach and green onions.

{{gwi:103231}}

Espalier fruit trees, blueberry and honey berries, strawberries and asparagus. Plus some filled in annuals such as limas, jalapeños and kale. Isn't that far deck screaming to become garden space? ;)

{{gwi:103232}}

The front yard garden. Pumpkins, zucchini, artichokes, apple tree and some kiwis in pots because I am second guessing planting them since they need a strong trellis and I've heard they can take over...
    {{gwi:103233}}

• knlim000
    9 years ago

mom got her eyes on the hairy gourd

9 years ago

Chamen, I have admired your garden photos for years on the Asian Vegetable forum. Some really creative urban gardens in this thread, too.

Had my garden gone according to plan, I would have had more photos... but my main rural plot was waterlogged by pounding rains for most of May & June. How wet you ask? Wet enough to have cattails springing up as weeds (!!!) and hundreds of willow & cottonwood seedlings. It would quickly turn to forest if I let it go. Never seen such a thing in all my years gardening... and hope I never see it again.

But the year won't be a total loss, the gardens around my home are doing well.

{{gwi:103234}}

{{gwi:103235}}

My rural garden in better years:
    {{gwi:103236}}

{{gwi:103237}}

{{gwi:103238}}

• calliope
    9 years ago

Lots of showers, cool nights. The horrible winter did go a long way reducing insect pressure this year.

• blrhudugi
    9 years ago

Oh what lovely gardens you all have. I do agree one of them looks more like a farm than a garden.

Chaman - can you please tell me if you grow the Tindora (coccina Grandis) from seed or cuttings. Also, do you have to take it indoors in winter, or treat it just like other annuals. I would like to grow this and wondering where to get all the detailed info. MD is a few zones south of us, but still pretty close for comparison purposes. By any chance, would you have some plants / seeds to spare.

Thank you.

• peachymomo
    9 years ago

Everyones' gardens are so green and weed free, they look beautiful!

Here's my little edible garden:
    {{gwi:103241}}
    I have four 2'x3' raised beds and two trellises for espaliered fruit trees, this area was my big project last fall. So far we've been getting bumper crops of beans as well as lots of tasty cucumbers and beets, we harvested our first ripe tomatoes last week and hopefully we'll be getting more soon.

• chaman
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Pepper plants.
    One row of 1 foot long hot peppers and one row of sweet peppers.

• chaman
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Bottle Gourd (Lauki, Doodhi)

• pnbrown
    9 years ago

Those peanuts look really good, Chaman. Other stuff as well.

Here is a shot of a little bit of my home garden some weeks ago:

{{gwi:103244}}

• pnbrown
    9 years ago

Zeedman, what is the name of those blue-podded peas?

This is the scythe:

{{gwi:103245}}

that cut the rampant weeds off these sweet potato rows:

{{gwi:103247}}

• pnbrown
    9 years ago

Those WY mountains (or do you call them hills?) behind Hudson's garden are pretty splendid.

A nice day today at the CSA farm where I swap labor for produce:

{{gwi:103249}}

• loribee2
    9 years ago

These photos are such a treat to look at. Some are absolutely majestic, yet the small urban gardens have so much charm. I love "peeking into folks' back yards" LOL

Here's mine this morning.

{{gwi:103250}}

{{gwi:103251}}

• pnbrown
    9 years ago

Is Tindori used for greens?

Sea-island red peas (landrace from SC) at my dry land garden:

{{gwi:103252}}

Edible gourd at my dry land garden:

{{gwi:103253}}

• chaman
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi pn: Tindoras are used in salads, cooking as vegetable dish and for pickling.

• hudson___wy
    9 years ago

pnbrown - I guess you could call them hills - 10,000'+ high hills - haha. Yes - they are beautiful mountains - Tks!

{{gwi:103254}}

• pnbrown
    9 years ago

Hudson, what is all that irrigation going in the background of your photos?

The land is amazingly flat for being so near tall mountains.

9 years ago

"Zeedman, what is the name of those blue-podded peas?" (Pnbrown)

Those are "Sugar Magnolia", a purple snap pea from Peace Seeds. Pretty in both bloom & pod, and not bad flavor either. This year is a seed crop, aside from a few samples... I plan a larger planting next year. I like the color & the pole habit, but my favorite sugar snap is still "Sugar Lace".

• pnbrown
    9 years ago

Thanks, Chris. BTW, I'm doing a sizable fall pea sowing this year. Ever have much luck with them?

• goodground
    9 years ago

Hudson,
    Where's the supermarket? No wonder you grow your own stuff. haha

• Acadiafun
    9 years ago

Great gardens, a feast for the eyes.

• hudson___wy
    9 years ago

Pnbrown - we live in a mountain valley at about 6,500' with a gravity fed underground irrigation system from water out of a natural lake's run off at about 9,000'. We have to move sprinkler pipe - but the water is well worth the effort. The valley floor is somewhat flat and is farmed. Alfalfa, pasture and oats is about the only crops grown here - one is lucky to get two good cuttings of alfalfa a year but it is high in protein! It is a very green valley because of the irrigation water and mountains. We have spectacular lightening storms and if you don't like the weather - just wait a couple of hours because it will probably change - haha.

goodground - your photo appears that you are in a beautiful location!! We do have a grocery store (not super market) and that IS why we grow a garden - haha. A small community with no traffic lights in town - a wonderful place to live if one likes to hunt big game, can tolerate cold weather, enjoys the life quality of a mountain community and can find a job - haha!

9 years ago

"... BTW, I'm doing a sizable fall pea sowing this year. Ever have much luck with them?"

Yes, with "Sugar Lace". It is a bush habit, so it starts to flower earlier than the pole types... and it actually has better germination if sown in warm soil. I usually plant the Fall crop in July, though. Your season is a little longer than mine, you might still get some peas if you plant them soon.

You might get some shelling peas too, but I would recommend using a short-DTM variety.

• pnbrown
    9 years ago

I sowed some Sugar Ann a few days ago. Typically no hard frost here until mid-november, sometimes later. Thanks for the tip on Sugar Lace.

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm