Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Garden Picture 2014

Posted by chaman z7MD (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 3, 14 at 15:09

I would like to share my garden pic. of 2014. I would appreciate viewing pic. of your garden of this year.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Garden Picture 2014

Peanuts and Beans pic. - 2014

o

Nice photos!
I always enjoy seeing others' gardens -- but am no good at uploading photos myself.

o

Very pretty! I could easily spend time relaxing in that chair. Everything looks lush and thriving.

o

Your garden looks great Chaman - I'm with you - I love to see pics of other gardener's gardens - so am going to share. Here is a photo of our raised beds - onions, beets, carrots, asparagus - and strawberries.

photo IMG_0802_zpseb06cf4c.jpg

Then our larger garden area - peas, beans, carrots, beets, onions, broccoli, cabbage, brussel sprouts, potatoes, squash and raspberries.

photo IMG_1514_zpsead28b53.jpg

o

This is my organic community garden this year. I grow vegetables and flowers for cutting. My plot is 10 ft x 50 ft.

This was taken July 10

This is today Aug 4

o

Great gardens!

This post was edited by erin_nc on Wed, Aug 6, 14 at 15:30

o

Wow... love that hanging garden. How to you keep the soil up there? ;-)

o

Those are some gorgeous gardens! Hudson, I think yours is bordering more on being a farm!

Here is mine, taken about a month ago. Really need to get some new ones now that things are really filling out.
 photo P1040090_zps2e9f63de.jpg

Lots of volunteer sunflowers that I let grow this year:
 photo IMG_20140718_123501623_zps8tez8lmp.jpg

o

Ha ha! I've given it some serious thought- dirt up there. Those are volunteer birdhouse gourds from last year and luffa coming up from the ground. They are my shade option for the NC sun on my deck. Fortunately, they get 30' in a season. 16' up and 16' across.

It's hard to see in the pic, but the Tomato Tree to the left is about 10'. I'm kinda wondering how I'm going to pick when they are ready.

Erin

o

Tons of Tindora (Coccinia grandis) this year.

o

Such lovely gardens! Here is my little urban 'peace' ;)
Potatoes, tomatoes, eggplants, peppers, cucumbers, onions, green beans. I just reseeded beets, turnips, sugar peas, Cilantro, bok choy and looking for a place to plant some Rubine Brussel sprouts which are new to me, as are most of these things since I've just recently become more than a tom, cukes, zukes gardener!

photo AE1CE534-500A-43C3-9011-7E7188DABE70.jpg

Herbs and Cool weather garden. Trying to over summer broccoli, lettuce, chard, kale as well as freshly seeded spinach and green onions.

photo A438856C-02CC-4331-99B5-A5080AF937F9.jpg

Espalier fruit trees, blueberry and honey berries, strawberries and asparagus. Plus some filled in annuals such as limas, jalapeños and kale. Isn't that far deck screaming to become garden space? ;)

photo 2FF14F23-F0EE-4274-8232-B8CE321F8951.jpg

The front yard garden. Pumpkins, zucchini, artichokes, apple tree and some kiwis in pots because I am second guessing planting them since they need a strong trellis and I've heard they can take over...
 photo AA7A520C-5CB6-4031-B7EA-0D0105B48161.jpg

o

mom got her eyes on the hairy gourd

o

Chamen, I have admired your garden photos for years on the Asian Vegetable forum. Some really creative urban gardens in this thread, too.

Had my garden gone according to plan, I would have had more photos... but my main rural plot was waterlogged by pounding rains for most of May & June. How wet you ask? Wet enough to have cattails springing up as weeds (!!!) and hundreds of willow & cottonwood seedlings. It would quickly turn to forest if I let it go. Never seen such a thing in all my years gardening... and hope I never see it again.

But the year won't be a total loss, the gardens around my home are doing well.

photo 038_zpsa763854e.jpg

photo 035_zpsa3145229.jpg

My rural garden in better years:
 photo GardenPictures248.jpg

photo GardenPictures249.jpg

photo GardenPictures205.jpg

o

Lots of showers, cool nights. The horrible winter did go a long way reducing insect pressure this year.

o

Oh what lovely gardens you all have. I do agree one of them looks more like a farm than a garden.

Chaman - can you please tell me if you grow the Tindora (coccina Grandis) from seed or cuttings. Also, do you have to take it indoors in winter, or treat it just like other annuals. I would like to grow this and wondering where to get all the detailed info. MD is a few zones south of us, but still pretty close for comparison purposes. By any chance, would you have some plants / seeds to spare.

Thank you.

o

Everyones' gardens are so green and weed free, they look beautiful!

Here's my little edible garden:
 photo 654bf846-a7f0-47e1-802b-994f147321b0.jpg
I have four 2'x3' raised beds and two trellises for espaliered fruit trees, this area was my big project last fall. So far we've been getting bumper crops of beans as well as lots of tasty cucumbers and beets, we harvested our first ripe tomatoes last week and hopefully we'll be getting more soon.

o

Pepper plants.
One row of 1 foot long hot peppers and one row of sweet peppers.

o

Bottle Gourd (Lauki, Doodhi)

o

Those peanuts look really good, Chaman. Other stuff as well.

Here is a shot of a little bit of my home garden some weeks ago:

photo _DSC0759_zpsb5ada983.jpg

o

Zeedman, what is the name of those blue-podded peas?

This is the scythe:

photo _DSC0013_zpsb507cfc8.jpg

that cut the rampant weeds off these sweet potato rows:

photo _DSC0014_zps7f2dbe27.jpg

o

Those WY mountains (or do you call them hills?) behind Hudson's garden are pretty splendid.

A nice day today at the CSA farm where I swap labor for produce:

photo _DSC0020_zps986d07be.jpg

o

These photos are such a treat to look at. Some are absolutely majestic, yet the small urban gardens have so much charm. I love "peeking into folks' back yards" LOL

Here's mine this morning.

IMG_4073

IMG_4066

o

Is Tindori used for greens?

Sea-island red peas (landrace from SC) at my dry land garden:

photo _DSC0024_zpsbc469999.jpg

Edible gourd at my dry land garden:

photo _DSC0032_zps044207cb.jpg

o

Hi pn: Tindoras are used in salads, cooking as vegetable dish and for pickling.

o

pnbrown - I guess you could call them hills - 10,000'+ high hills - haha. Yes - they are beautiful mountains - Tks!

photo P1010316_zps870b96bd.jpg

o

Hudson, what is all that irrigation going in the background of your photos?

The land is amazingly flat for being so near tall mountains.

o

"Zeedman, what is the name of those blue-podded peas?" (Pnbrown)

Those are "Sugar Magnolia", a purple snap pea from Peace Seeds. Pretty in both bloom & pod, and not bad flavor either. This year is a seed crop, aside from a few samples... I plan a larger planting next year. I like the color & the pole habit, but my favorite sugar snap is still "Sugar Lace".

o

Thanks, Chris. BTW, I'm doing a sizable fall pea sowing this year. Ever have much luck with them?

o

Hudson,
Where's the supermarket? No wonder you grow your own stuff. haha

o

Great gardens, a feast for the eyes.

o

Pnbrown - we live in a mountain valley at about 6,500' with a gravity fed underground irrigation system from water out of a natural lake's run off at about 9,000'. We have to move sprinkler pipe - but the water is well worth the effort. The valley floor is somewhat flat and is farmed. Alfalfa, pasture and oats is about the only crops grown here - one is lucky to get two good cuttings of alfalfa a year but it is high in protein! It is a very green valley because of the irrigation water and mountains. We have spectacular lightening storms and if you don't like the weather - just wait a couple of hours because it will probably change - haha.

goodground - your photo appears that you are in a beautiful location!! We do have a grocery store (not super market) and that IS why we grow a garden - haha. A small community with no traffic lights in town - a wonderful place to live if one likes to hunt big game, can tolerate cold weather, enjoys the life quality of a mountain community and can find a job - haha!

o

"... BTW, I'm doing a sizable fall pea sowing this year. Ever have much luck with them?"

Yes, with "Sugar Lace". It is a bush habit, so it starts to flower earlier than the pole types... and it actually has better germination if sown in warm soil. I usually plant the Fall crop in July, though. Your season is a little longer than mine, you might still get some peas if you plant them soon.

You might get some shelling peas too, but I would recommend using a short-DTM variety.

o

I sowed some Sugar Ann a few days ago. Typically no hard frost here until mid-november, sometimes later. Thanks for the tip on Sugar Lace.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here