Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
missrumphius

Tomato disease - Co-op Ext. agents disagree

missrumphius
10 years ago

My tomato plants are seriously sick. I live on the border of 2 counties so I contacted both extension offices with pictures and samples. One says it is septoria, the other says no, definitely bacterial spot. Neither gave me much help in keeping my plants alive until the tomatoes get ripe.
I water with a drip emitter system and have been spraying with fung-onil weekly. It has rained, often very hard, about every 2-3 days all summer. The plant tops are still looking healthy but the rest looks awful.
Can anyone help?
Sorry for the sideways picture - I don't know how to change it.
(I previously posted this on the Tomato diseases and pests forum but there doesn't seem to be much action there.)

Comments (10)

• wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana
    10 years ago

These conditions are worse with a lot of rain. I would cut back on the watering and perhaps using some kind of mulch to prevent splatter from the soil might help.

• chervil2
    10 years ago

Some varieties are more prone to diseases compared to others. Do you see a variation of disease symptoms within your tomato plot?

• missrumphius
    Original Author
    10 years ago

chervil2: Yes, there is variation although all the plants are at least somewhat affected. The worst are the romas and Bush Goliath (a new variety for me this year). Even the Defiants, which I plant because they have blight resistance, are pretty bad. It may not be significant but the least affected are the indeterminate varieties - Gardener's Delight, Sweet Olive and Wapsipinicon Peach.

• ltilton
    10 years ago

I'm alternating Daconil with copper now.

• missrumphius
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Dave (or anyone knowledgable) - The Co-operative Extension agents told me not to remove leaves above the green tomatoes to avoid sun scald. Intuitively, I just want to cut off everything that looks sick even if all that is left is t stem and a branch with green tomatoes. What do you recommend?
    Elaina

This post was edited by MissRumphius on Thu, Aug 1, 13 at 21:48

• seysonn
    10 years ago

The Co-operative Extension agents told me not to remove leaves above the green tomatoes to avoid sun scald

sun scald on what ? fruits? nonsense. lots of tomato fruits are exposed to sun and nothing happens to them.

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

While defoliating the plant does increase the risk of sun scald to the fruit - a very real issue - it also helps slow the progression of the disease and the spread to other plants since it is primarily windblown.

So it is a trade off to a degree. We often recommend stripping the foliage and providing an alternate form of semi-shade to the plant if possible as well as picking the fruit at first blush (color break) to finish ripening indoors out of the direct sun..

I'd speculate that in your zone the risk of sun scald may be far less than when compared to zones further south but only you can judge the degree of sun exposure your fruit will get and the degree of risk. Try for a balance between providing some cover but getting rid of as much of the infected foliage as possible and then spray well.

Hope this helps.

Dave

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Yeah ! I didn't notice that OP is gardening in zone 4, way up north and the county extension agent warns him of sun scald. It is like this person is dying of hunger and somebody is warning him of high cholesterol .
    Those guys should go and find a job that they can handle IMO.

• missrumphius
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Dave - Thanks for all the thoughtful advice. I'm now off to defoliate my poor plants.

Elaina