Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beegirl123

Hybrid squash?

beegirl123
9 years ago

I saved some seeds from an acorn squash last year, and ended up with three big plants this summer. The squash came from a friend's garden, and I have no idea what her neighbours are growing, but it definitely looks like I have a hybrid of some kind. One of the plants is producing squash like the one in the photo. The squash on the other two plants are a different shape and all whitish yellow with no green. I'm a novice gardener, not very clued up on plant genetics, and I have never grown squash before. I know different varieties can cross pollinate, but can anyone explain how I ended up with two distinctly different batches of squash? Could the squash I got my seeds from have been pollinated by two different varieties?

Comments (3)

• beegirl123
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's a squash from one of the other plants.

• mav72
    9 years ago

Different traits can show up in individual plants.. I grew a hybrid squash from the neighbors two years ago... Some plants had a classic pumpkin shape and others had a shape like the one in your picture... Four color morphs appeared, dark green, light green, solid, and stripped... They all tasted the same but I'm sure that it can be an issue also..

• hilnaric
    9 years ago

Looks like some delicata or little dumpling got into the mix somewhere.

Sponsored
Traditional Hardwood Floors LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Your Industry Leading Flooring Refinishers & Installers in Columbus