Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Refrigerating tomatoes

Posted by TVZ1 none (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 24, 12 at 16:23

You know how they say that you shouldn't keep your tomatoes in the fridge, because they won't taste as good? I wonder--Does this mean you should never keep them there, because it will permanently harm the flavor? Or just that you shouldn't keep them there just before you eat them, because they taste better warm? I like to keep extras in the fridge sometimes, when I won't be using them right away--especially if they are fully ripe, and in danger of becoming overly ripe. Any tomato flavor experts out there?
Thnx
TVZ

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Refrigerating tomatoes

I thought this was an interesting article on the topic, though not definitive.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chilling thoughts

o

I definitely think they lose flavor. If you have too many why not make home made spageti sauce it is easy and you can can it and then refrigerate, tastes better than store bought plus it is fun (recipes online "home made spageti saace")

o

It means that due to the effect that refrigeration has on the cell tissues you shouldn't do it unless absolutely necessary because it will affect the flavor.

If you plan to use them for fresh eating you will notice the flavor difference due to the loss of liquid from the cell tissues that refrigeration allows. If planning to use the tomatoes for cooking then it doesn't matter so much.

This is a frequent discussion over on the Harvest forum here (the food preservation forum) and freezing is recommended over refrigeration. Freezing affects the texture of the fruit because it ruptures the cellular tissue but it retains the flavor.

Dave

o

• Posted by TVZ1 none (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 25, 12 at 10:47

Thanks Dave and all. Great information!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here