Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sortaorganic

Fish/Seaweed fertilizer questions

SortaOrganic
10 years ago

Started our quest last year to move away from conventional gardening and into wide deep beds and organic fertilizers. I was quite impressed with the fish fertilizer I stumbled across. It was "Alaska" brand, 5.1.1. It worked on everything from the veggies to the flowers. However, our pole Lima's did not start setting fruit till late in the season, and it was much less than it should have been. Everything else including the green beans and peas did very well. The Lima plants had a good color, grew tall, and had no major bug problems. I've been wondering if the Nitrogen level of the fertilizer might have been a bit too high for them. I'm considering "Neptune's Harvest" Fish and Seaweed fertilizer 2.3.1. in hopes of reducing the nitrogen a bit and boosting the blooming. We have 3 varieties of pole Lima's this year, so it would be a good time to try it out. I also read about people adding molasses to the mix but can't find the reason or ratio's. Any comments would be appreciated as we move further into uncharted waters! Thanks.

Comments (9)

• Donna
    10 years ago

Typically, you don't need to fertilize beans. If they get too much nitrogen, you'll get nice lush green plants, but no beans. Limas seem to be particularly sensitive. Try growing them without any added fertilizer at all. Or, better yet, get a soil test and then you can stop guessing.

• newyorkrita
    10 years ago

I use Neptunes Fish/Seaweed blend on my veggies. Fantastic stuff. However I do not fertilize the beans. If you do you get fantastic plants but, as you are finding out for yourself, no actual beans.

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Ditto what the others have said. Legumes of any kind normally don't require nor tolerate supplemental N. Plus limas are much more prone to blossom drop and lack of fruit set due to heat than many others varieties of beans.

But as for Alaska 5-1-1, it is a good basic fert but there are better blends that include seaweed, kelp, etc. and so more micro-nutrients and don't have the odor issues.

Dave

• SortaOrganic
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the replies. Hot weather last year was a likely contributor as well as my feeding them. I also did the same for the peas and Blue Lakes and had a tremendous harvest from them. For a change, I will not fertilize this year and see what happens. I know I need some type of soil testing equipment but we have had such good luck for the last 3 years flying by the seat of our pants, it just hasn't been on the top of my to do list. Guess it's time to do more reading on them. Thanks for everyone's input!

• seysonn
    10 years ago

But as for Alaska 5-1-1, it is a good basic

IMO, there is no punch in it . Any good horse or cow manure can beat that. It is basically nitogen, anyway. Even then not enough of it. I have a bag of Ammonium sulfate ( 29- 0- 0-) I use it for green stuff(No flower, no fruits wanted ). Then I have some 16-16-16. Also have some bloom booster type (? 8 -29- 6 ??). I use the first for things like cabbage, .. the later on maters and flowers, cukes.

• diepilze
    10 years ago

I think the OP made it clear he was leaving conventional gardening behind. Those mineral salts will disrupt the soil food web.

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

"Punch" is not necessarily desirable with most crops. A low-dose but steady diet of nutrients - regardless of the type of source - is usually preferable.

Dave

• hummersteve
    7 years ago

I have used the alaska emulsion but was never impressed by it . But in its behalf it may be more when and how you use rather than anything else. I have since moved away from emulsion and now use neptunes harvest fish and seaweed which also contains many micronutrients and is not heated as emulsion is . I have also seen effective results in my limited time of using it this season.