Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jyan_azevedo

Is it too late to thin my chilli plants?

Jyan_Azevedo
10 years ago

Hello there,
I have gotten two chilli plants from a friend while they were already quite mature.
I normally only grow veggies from seed so I am not sure if there is a limit stage to thinning.

When I got this chilli they were on a quite small pot so I transfer them to open soil but I noticed that there were more than one plant per pot and now the growing process seems to have slowed a great deal and I wonder is it is because there are too many roots in one spot or simply a natural stage of the plant since we are approaching the end of Spring here in the Netherlands.

I made sure to have planty of organic matter in the soil before transplanting them, both horse droppings as well as some egg shells (I use the latter as a standard also to avoid the slugs) and I water them frequently. They get about 5 hours of sun per day (between 10am and 15pm) and the temperature has been between 18 and 25 degrees celsius since they were put outside.

So could someone tell me if I should still thin them, even though they are quite big or if I should just leave it as it is and wait for the next seeding season and start over? Or is there something else that I could do for the poor things?

Comments (5)