Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
veg_grower964

okra not blooming

veg_grower964
14 years ago

I have about 25 okra plants I planted in june.the brand is clemson spineless.they are huge plants almost 5 foot tall and healthy' with not the first bloom on them. never heard of this.thanks for any input on this . I also have pictures if that will help.

thanks

ED

Comments (16)

• anney
    14 years ago

Mine aren't blooming either, and they're about five feet tall with stems the size of bamboo and huge leaves.

I suspect the relatively cool summer weather here is the problem, very unusual for this area. They really need long periods of heat to begin producing.

I'm being as patient as I can be, hoping they'll eventually bloom and make some okra pods!

• farmerdilla
    14 years ago

Depending on when in June you planted your okra, It just may not have had sufficient time yet. My Emerald planted the first of May is just going into full production, but has been producing for about two weeks, Perkins Long Pod just beginning to bloom. I don't grow Clemson Spineless.

• anney
    14 years ago

I planted my White Velvet okra (seeds from gonefishing) on June 16, so I'm hoping they'll soon do their thing! Every day I look for furled blossoms but see only new leaves unfolding. The mature leaves are larger than dinner plates!

• veg_grower964
    Original Author
    14 years ago

anney '

I hear you on the size'mine look like trees with giant stalks.thought they put the wrong seed in pack' hopeing for some okra soon also.

farmerdilla'

I think about the middle of june not for sure.
    hope this august heat will get them fired up

ED

• jules7ky
    14 years ago

This is my 2nd year for okra - and, huh! I thought my Clemson Spineless wasn't blooming because of early-season bunny damage... It went absolutely nuts very quickly last year, plenty of blooms and pods. This year, nada!

I did plant some 'Little Lucy', though (dwarf red variety), and they're blooming their little hearts out. Lots of pods, which I've sliced up & frozen.

Our July was the coolest on record ever - we never even reached 90 degrees. Unheard of! August is inching up, but looks like we're headed back to the mid-80's next week. Geez, it's just not summer in the Ohio Valley unless you're roasting and being steam-cooked all at once...

• anney
    14 years ago

Hurrah! I see four little White Velvet okra pods on one of my plants, but I'm puzzled because I haven't seen any flowers, and the plant is right outside the back door in a container. I water the plants daily. It's supposed to have enormous, hibiscus like yellow blossoms. Do they ever produce pods without flowering? Or is the flower extremely short-lived so I'd miss seeing it even if I looked at the plant daily?

Really puzzled!

• nc_crn
    14 years ago

The blossoms come/go within a day...most of the time before you'll have a chance to enjoy them...heck, most of the time it's just a few hours rather than all day.

Most of my flowers open and close within hours and drop later that night or early the next morning. They're pretty when they're open, but you probably won't see many in full display because of the short time window.

• anney
    14 years ago

Well, I think I just missed the blossoms somehow. See?

{{gwi:104396}}

{{gwi:104397}}

{{gwi:39204}}

They're almost ready to pick!

Looks like they have aphids or some tiny critter on one of the pods.

• farmerdilla
    14 years ago

Not yet; Those are the buds, should open in a day or so. Then about 2 more days for the okra to size. Excellent photography by the way. Aphids love okra but unless they get real thick don't do a lot of damage.
    {{gwi:71443}}

• anney
    14 years ago

farmerdilla

Thanks! They sure look like young pods! Since a couple of them are already yellowish in the sunlight, that must be an indication that they're about ready to open.

I tried to spray those aphids off with water but they don't budge. I saw several ants that must be farming them.

• nc_crn
    14 years ago

Ants love to visit the flowers and flower buds...it's usually no huge deal even if they attempt to farm some young aphids because the flower (bud and all) drops pretty quickly.

I worry more when the ants are going to unusual places like the underside of leaves where they more successfully farm aphids for damage.

• veg_grower964
    Original Author
    14 years ago

mine has those little pods poping up every where on each plant.wont be long now.we are haveing some very humid hot days in tennessee.that must have helped them along.

thanks everyone

Ed

• gardener1908
    14 years ago

I'm in s.w. lower MI and I have okra! First time I have planted it. Started 2 different types then labels were lost so I don't know what they are. Only put in 12 plants. They are about 15 inches tall and picked a few 3-5 inchpods the other day. These plants didn't even get in the ground til 2nd week or so in June. Strange thing is I don't have tomatoes yet. Go figure!

• lantanascape
    14 years ago

I planted Anney Oakley okra this year. I didn't put it in until well into June due to the cool spring. I was getting distressed by the small size of the plants, but have several small okra pods now, so the 60 DTM estimate on the packet was pretty accurate. Good way to get some okra when there's not much heat. The plants are only about a foot high, but already producing. Can't wait for gumbo!

• anney
    14 years ago

I'm gonna' plant a small short-season okra next year! My blossoms still haven't opened!