Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newtxgardener

spots on amaranth

I have a pot with a few amaranth plants in it, the leaves started developing these white dots on them, what are they? How do I get rid of them?

I had a baby mint in a pot next to it, and the leaves started to have the white spots too, and then a grasshopper came by and ate all the mint leaves, I only found my bare branch mint the next day. :-( Then the mint leaves started the grow back, the new leaves do not have the white spots.

Comments (10)

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

Possible spider mites. You should be able to see the very fine webbing on the underside of the leaves.

Dave

• NewTXGardener (8a Dallas)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

No webbing on the underside of any leaves. What can I do? Should I cut off all the leaves like the grasshopper eating all my mint leaves, but me doing it manually on my amaranth and hope that new leaves will come out without spots?

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

Are you familiar with spider mites and know what to look for? They usually can't be seen with the naked eye so much closer investigation may be required.. Check out all the photos below so you know what to look for.

There is no way to know what to do until first determining what the cause of the problem is.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Spider Mites pics

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the link, I checked underneath the leaves, and the whole plants, no spider mites that I could see, there isn't any kind of webbing. The undersides of the leaves are clean. I did find webbing on my succulent which is like 15 feet away, which I assume may be from spider mites? Not sure, but not on these amaranth.

I have 3 amaranth plants in this pot, and all 3 are doing the same thing, and new leaves come out immediately with these spots.

I have a planter box with only amaranth on my patio maybe like 20 feet away from this infected pot, but it's elevated, and they have no spots at all, they look healthy and lush.

Help!!

• glo407
    9 years ago

Jumped on this post because I too have "spots" problem. I'm not sure if it is the same as NewTxGardener. Noticed tiny white dotes on the top of leaves of peppers. Later the dotes became a hole with brown edges (some of these holes are much larger than the original white spot) and the leaves are no longer erect. The tiny spots seem to originate on top of leaves because they seem smooth underneath the spot, Now noticed eggplants and tomatoes spotting now. Checked out digdirts suggested website and I don't quite see my situation, however, have seen spider webs. If this is mites or worms will a dose of Safer Insecticide spray help?

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    9 years ago

Neem oil is good for mites and 200 other harmful insects and it's organic and won't hurt you. Spray early evening after the beneficial bugs go to bed so it has time to dry.

It takes 3 days to see results. It destroys the ability of any bug encountering it to think. Bugs forget to eat and mate, and it ruins their life cycle... organically.

You should be eating those Amaranth leaves in salads, but who wants bugs on the salad leaves!!

Original Author
    9 years ago

I really don't think it's spider mites in this case on my amaranth since I see no visible signs of spider mites. But new leaves that come out already have those spots like automatically. The spots do not brown or become holes later.

My pepper plant has holes similar to what Glo407 mentioned, I think I found some green worms, killed 2, but the holes keep appearing, not quite sure how to fix that.

• baltimore_figs
    9 years ago

Hi NewTX
    Do your amaranth leaves look like this? I have the same problem, but don't know what it is or how to fix it :(

Original Author
    9 years ago

baltimore_figs: you can see my leaf in the first post. The spots are disappearing now, I still have some old leaves that are like that and some new ones, but the brand new ones that come out don't have that now or have less. I don't know what's going on, and not sure if i should save seeds. The other amaranth plants I have in my planter box are now being attacked by some green worms eating them up, not sure where they are from, they are everywhere except my chives, no one wants to eat my chives. :-D

• Lee Ming
    4 years ago

i think its malnutrition issue. The first few batch of my amaranth usually grew very well but when it come to 5th harvest then this white spot will appear.

What i usually do is to clear away all balance amaranth. Leave the plot of land empty for 2 days. Then put some fertilizer or compost in and mix it. After 1 more day i will plant a new batch of amaranth and it grow perfectly fine.

This is just an opinion based on my experience from growing purple amaranth for the past 5 years.

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional