Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
First taste of success

Posted by IAmSupernova SE Texas 9A (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 23, 12 at 17:06

This was my first year at gardening.. I just started back in May (started kinda late). This was only a test run to make sure I wouldn't get tired of doing it and that I actually had what it took to take something from seed to something that was edible.

The ear of corn from the largest of all the plants was ready today, or at least ready as I understood what to look for. Silks were dry and the kernels were milky when punctured. Me and my wife just ate it and it was the best tasting corn I'd ever had. Not sure if that was because I grew it, or it was simply superior to the 4 for a dollar ears you can buy in the grocery store around here. The rest aren't far behind, me and my wife both said the same thing after we finished the one that was ready... "I want more".

I know it's not the prettiest thing out there, but it means a lot to me. Next year I'll be putting a lot more resources into it and expanding my little 12 by 3 foot plot to a good sized garden.

Photobucket
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: First taste of success

CONGRABULATIONS! That there is some GOOD eating!

o

Good going! I hope you will keep it up! I tried growing corn and had no luck! My neighbor grows it and often gives me some ears. I can get some good corn around here in Amish country, PA but also can get some bad corn. It was a touch summer, w/ all the bad heat and early warm spring.

o

Getting your corn fully pollinated enough to have a full ear of corn with no gaps in the kernels is a great achievement for a 1st time home gardener. That's a big issue with some smaller-plot corn growers.

o

Yeah I read about that. I've been lightly shaking the plants every few days to assist in pollination. There were some gaps on the other side, but weren't many.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here