Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jonhughes_gw

Today's Harvest ;-)

jonhughes
12 years ago

On the way to the FoodBank, we are sooooo blessed ;-)

{{gwi:23538}}

Comments (12)

• zzackey
    12 years ago

I'm so thankful that you give to the food bank! Our local food bank is hurting for donations now. May God Bless you!

• jonhughes
    Original Author
    12 years ago

He does ;-)
    Thank You ! ! !

• loribee2
    12 years ago

WOW Jon, that's really impressive! I don't know who's getting veggies like that in the rest of the country. We're either still waiting for our summer (here in CA) or burning up (everything east). Do you have optimum weather up on the border or is it just that amazing compost of yours that makes everything grow?

• jonhughes
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It's probably a little too hot around here, I am hoping it starts to cool down, I have donated over 3000 lbs so far this year, but my goal is 8000 lbs and my year ends in late October, so I need about 500lbs a week to make my goal (maybe I bit off more than I can chew ;-)
    But...We'll see ;-)

{{gwi:23534}}

{{gwi:54996}}

{{gwi:54997}}

• Donna
    12 years ago

Go, jon! Do you grow in a community garden or is your garden in a business place? It is amazing. I'd say you're enjoying Heavenly Favor there. May your tribe increase.

• jonhughes
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Amen ;-)
    It is in my back parking lot (I didn't need that much parking space ;-)

{{gwi:104791}}

{{gwi:104792}}

{{gwi:91743}}

What it looks like in the Winter ;-)

{{gwi:12772}}

Opposite side of the Garden

{{gwi:104793}}

• whgille
    12 years ago

Jon - Good job! Love to see your garden and your harvests!

Silvia

• macbettz
    12 years ago

simply amazing...

• michelelc
    12 years ago

Jon,
    What a beautiful harvest! You are inspiring. We've had a strange summer, it's been cooler than normal, so things are running late, here. I am putting in more raised beds to cover most of my backyard, and my friends ask me why do you need so many vegetables! I say, I like to grow, I do it for fun, and I'll donate the extra. A new food bank just went up a few blocks from me! You give me motivation for next year!
    Michele

• emmers_m
    12 years ago

So Jon,

When you say your year ends in late October, do you mean your garden shuts down, or is it just the end of peak harvesting? I ask because I had gotten the impression that you could grow almost year round, and there's that picture of your winter garden?

I have every confidence that you'll make your 8000 lbs :)

~emmers

• adrock430
    12 years ago

Love the squash on the compost pile idea!

• jonhughes
    Original Author
    12 years ago

"When you say your year ends in late October"
    That is when I quit counting..... ;-)
    Because I am harvesting from every square inch in the garden until late Oct (First Frost), I don't get a chance to sow Broccoli ,Cabbage , Cauliflower (they need an earlier planting to make it through Winter without a tendency to BOLT in Spring), so ...I have decided to just plant Onions and Garlic, neither gave me any bolting when planted Nov. 1st and they were harvested and out of the way for Summer plantings, I think now I have a workable plan (to get the most bang for the buck/ lbs of veggies out of my garden)

{{gwi:79183}}

{{gwi:58576}}

{{gwi:15175}}

{{gwi:8599}}

{{gwi:12770}}