Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Whats wrong with the canteloupe leaves?

Posted by Omni 7A (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 11, 12 at 17:37

Hello everyone. I have about 8 canteloupes on the way, half of them should be ready within the week or two. However, I've discovered this white patch growing on the leaves. I didn't think anything of it in the beginning, however now that I'm looking at it, I think this might be some fungus growth or something. How do I treat this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Whats wrong with the canteloupe leaves?

• Posted by Omni none (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 11, 12 at 17:38

This is a closeup on one of the leaves

o

I would spray with a fungicide immediately. Spray all the leaves well asap. I had a similar thing on some pumpkin leaves. It was white powdery patches, and when I sprayed it stopped it from spreading. I used Daconil.

o

• Posted by Omni none (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 11, 12 at 18:17

Is there any homemade remedy I can use? Like baking soda?

o

Powdery mildew. Advanced case. Your vines will probably die fairly soon, but you should get your melons harvested before then.

o

No, there is not a reliable home remedy like baking soda. We have conceived and made fungicides and chemicals for a reason, because nature likes to win. Fungicides are not harmful to humans unless directly ingested (I'm assuming, since we have been using copper based sprays for the last 70 years and no one has died from it that we can say definitively).

both ltilton and I are from illinois, and for the last 3 years we have both watched as our precious melons have died for mysterious reasons.

This year I actually had two melons ripening, cantaloupe, and the racoons tried to cart them off. Dragged the melons a good ten feet, tearing the skin... so no muskmelon for me this year, again. (I shouldn't say that, I still have a chance, with one tiny melon still trying to make it. I need to guard it with trip mines and large caliber guns :)

When nature keeps slapping you in the face, you start to give up the idealistic thoughts of gardening 100% organically. If you want perfect melons, organically grown with no chemicals or fungicides, where nothing will hurt them and disease won't touch them, then you need to grow the melons in their native land: Persia.

Sorry if I sounded too... on the nose, best intentions, you know

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here