Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandhill_farms

Posting Your Pictures Here On Garden Web Forums

sandhill_farms
13 years ago

I thought that I'd post a quick little tutorial on how to embed your pictures in your posts on the forums here at GW. I wish it could be a sticky note but that's not possible.

I feel that it's almost imperative to post pictures to assist in describing whatever problem you may be having with your plants. Everyday you read where someone writes something to the effect: "The leaves on my squash are turning brown, what could be the problem?" A picture would help those who are "trying to help you" identify what the problem could be.

Everyone today has a digital camera that they use to take snaps of their families - vacations - etc. To view them you most often download them to your computer so you already have half the battle won. To get them to the point of putting them here on GW is as follows:

First they must be uploaded to a photo hosting site. I use Photobucket as it's extremely simple and is free so I'll use them as an example. Once you sign-up and become a member you need to upload the pictures you want to post in to Photobucket. Create an album and assign it whatever name you want to call it, say "Garden." You'll see a button in the center of the screen called "Upload Images And Videos." Click on that button and a small window will open that has the contents of your computer in it. You want to go to wherever you keep your pictures and select the ones you want to post in GW. Then hit the "Open" button and the pictures will begin to upload to your album in Photobucket. Once they're there it's easy to put them in your post. Just go to the picture you want and hold your cursor over it. This will open a drop-down window below your picture that has various codes:

Email & IM

Direct Link

HTML Code

IMG Code

Highlight the HTML Code, press and hold the Ctrl key on your keyboard while you press the letter C. This cuts the HTML code that you need to put your picture in your post. Now go to the message you want to post in GW. Put your cursor in your message body where you want to place the picture. Now you want to Paste the HTML Code in your message. To do this you press and hold the Ctrl key on your keyboard and then hit the letter V. This will place the code in your message body. To check and see your picture push the "Preview Message" button and there it is.

So now you know how to post pictures in your posts on GW. If you're having a problem with your plants and want some help, go out and snap a picture or two. This will greatly help others who wish to help you and make sure that you're getting the most accurate help.

And if someone makes a post where pictures will help, remind them. If they say they don't know how, give them a link to this post.

I hope this helps all of you whom are trying to help others out in the future.

Greg

Southern Nevada

Comments (19)

• taz6122
    13 years ago

Just wanted to add you will probably need to reduce those pictures before posting. You can do this with "Paint" on XP or any other picture editor you may have or at the hosting site. 700 pixels is the max on width here at GW.

• sandhill_farms
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Before this thread got buried in to oblivion I thought that I'd bring it to the forefront in case there are those of you that are having problems, or have questions about your plants, can post pictures. This helps others better understand what you are talking about.

The following instructions apply to PC's. I don't own a MAC so I don't know what the commands are for them.

• loribee2
    13 years ago

Photobucket also has an editor that will quickly resize your photos, I've just learned.

Once you've saved your photo, there should be an "Edit" option. Click it, to go to a photo editing screen. One of the menu options is a "resize" icon. It has several pre-set options to let you grow/shrink your photo down to a manageable screen size.

• sandhill_farms
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for that, loribee2. I resize all of mine for the web in Photoshop so I didn't even think to mention it.

Greg
    Southern Nevada

• instar8
    13 years ago

That's why I use photobucket, it automatically resizes all posted pics. I shoot in high resolution all the time in case i want to print something, so if i want to post here, i let them do the work, it's actually faster and easier.

• loribee2
    13 years ago

I was resizing in Photoshop forever and only recently discovered Photobucket's option. I like it because I can leave the copy on my PC alone and only alter the one that goes to websites after I've uploaded it. (Of course, I could make a web version of my photos on my pc, but for some reason, even though I've got a gazillion gigs on my hard drive, I still operate as though I've got a 256K DOS machine and need to cherish my free space. LOL!)

• makete
    13 years ago

Missed this the first time around.

Clipped.

Thanks for posting this information.

• taz6122
    13 years ago

Since this is sandhills thread and they already made the mistake at least once which is why they didn't thank me for the resizing info, I just wanted to mention you should only post pictures that belong to YOU otherwise you could end up banned or even worse, in court over copyright issues.

You're welcome!

• sandhill_farms
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I don't know who defacated in your Rice Krispies this morning but someone sure must have to lead to your last post. Are you feeling that you're not getting enough attention? And what mistake do you feel "they" have made? Resizing pictures before putting them in posts, or sending them in an email is a given. I'm sure that most people know that, but for those who don't - Thank You!

As far as posting pictures that don't belong to you goes, that happens everyday here in GW threads in case you haven't noticed. I recall the thread you posted in that brought-up this statement you made and it was pointed (more or less) at me. What I did was to post the two pictures that you provided non-clickable links to, no biggie. When a non-clickable link is provided in a thread, (like you did), a lot of people will not take the time or trouble to cut and paste them in their address bar so they can go to the site (or picture). If you were to put the link in the "Optional Link URL" space below your message when writing it, it becomes live and clickable. This makes it easier for people as all they have to do is to click on the link. I went one step further for everyone and made the two pictures visible for them so they didn't have to cut and paste.

As far as your threat over copyright issues, as it applies in most (if not all) cases on GW, you are wrong! This is a learning/teaching site where people come to learn about gardening. The pictures in the links you provided in the thread I wrote about above were also from a teaching site. I'm almost certain that you know nothing about copyright law but there's a section called "Right Of Use," and what I did, (in fact what most people here do by posting pictures), falls under that section. No one was or is attempting to capitalize, or gain monetarily off of someone elses pictures. Perhaps if you wish to play as a Forum Police Officer and make implied threats of copyright infringement to others, you should read-up on copyright law. Now that's just a suggestion so don't get your knickers in a knot over it. And how do I know this? Well I'm a Photographer, and aside from my passion for growing vegetables I also have a passion for Photography as well. When I'm not working in my growing areas on my property I'm hiking the mountains around home, as well as around other states shooting Photos. I don't claim to be an expert on copyright law, but I do know about this topic. As far as being sued - well someone could sue a Ham and Cheese Sandwich if they wanted to but I seriously doubt that it would go anywhere.

By doing what I do I'm trying to be helpful to others as I know a little about Photography. I'm sorry if that jerks your chain...

Greg
    Southern Nevada

• echoes_or
    13 years ago

Greg, thanks for the tutorial. I've been having issues posting photos here. I use photobucket and have always followed just what you described. The pictures show in preview but when I hit submit, they don't showup in the final posting....
    Any ideas on why? Thanks

• sandhill_farms
    Original Author
    13 years ago

You're welcome, I'm sorry it's not working for you. It shouldn't make a difference but what browser are you using? I use IE for GW and Firefox for most everything else. Can you make another post and include a link to one of your pictures that you would like to post and I'll give a try and see if I can see what's happening?

Greg
    Southern Nevada

• echoes_or
    13 years ago

I use IE provided by yahoo.. Never noticed that before... Hmmm Not sure how I got yahoo attached.

I will post another picture. Never have tried a link before.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:104989}}

• sandhill_farms
    Original Author
    13 years ago

echoes - Here's my attempt at posting the picture you provided above. We'll see what happens...

Greg
    Southern Nevada

{{gwi:104992}}

• taz6122
    13 years ago

{{gwi:104989}}

• taz6122
    13 years ago

I didn't have to save the picture to my computer then upload to photobucket to post the picture like Greg did. I just used the img src="your pic url"

I know I know "Hypocrite". But echoes was looking for a demo correct?

• echoes_or
    13 years ago

Ok, here goes....

{{gwi:104993}}

• echoes_or
    13 years ago

Didn't do anything different... But, at least it worked.

• crm2431
    13 years ago

Sandhill

Thank you so much for your posting. I have been wanting to know how to post a picture for a long time.

Charlie

• sandhill_farms
    Original Author
    13 years ago

You're quite welcome, Charlie. If you have any problems post them and we'll see if we can get it working for you.

Greg
    Southern Nevada