Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cantaloupes

Posted by ChicagoDeli37 none (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 20, 12 at 18:01

When do I know when to pick.
This ones pretty big.

Here's some smaller ones. Lots like this.
will they beat the frost?

Leaves are getting some mildew and some seem to be dyong
On the bottom
any options on what u should do?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cantaloupes

• Posted by Omni none (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 20, 12 at 18:10

As for leave treatment, that looks like a fungal infection. Soon, it will spread to the other leaves. Get some type of an anti fungal spray and spray it down on both sides of the leaves.

Now, for the Cantaloupe, wait until you get a golden/brown or hay like color. Your cantaloupe right now is when you'd cut it if you were planning on shipping it (thats why so many grocery type cantaloupes are that greenish viney color). Once its golden/brown, your ready to harvest. It will probably be another week or so.
Take a look at this image:

http://allthingsnext.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/cantaloupe.jpg

Also, what zone are you in?

o

What type of spray? Any brand name?
In in chicago

o

Unless it is a Charentais, all muskmelons slip from the vine when ripe. If you have to cut or break it from the vine it is not ripe.

o

It won't be ripe till it changes color. I t hink those longer melons aren't cantaloupes, and each type has its own ripeness indicators.

The longer ones still look fuzzy - they've got a long way to go.

You may not get frost til November, there in the city. That won't be the problem, the problem is the shortening length of days. Melons need lots of sun and heat to grow sweet.

o

• Posted by glib 5.5 (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 20, 12 at 21:39

I think you will beat frost, but you won't beat mildew without spray.

o

Are they all the same type of melon? The netted one is definitely a muskmelon. I agree that they will lighten in color and slip from the vine when ripe. The one that's fully netted might ripen in time, but I'm not sure about the others. I also have a mildew problem on my leaves, but I'm hoping my last few melons ripen before the vines die. Too late for me to fight a mildew problem now.

o

They'll ripen regardless but you may be dissapointed with the flavor.

o

Once they turn yellow and start to smell good, you will notice that the stem will start to detach from the melon. At this point if you don't want your melons to fall, you can see if a little pressure on the stem will make the melon fall off. I grow my melons on the ground so I can wait for the stem to fall off the melon and then harvest.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here