Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
AU Sweet Scarlet Watermelon Seed Source

Posted by grandad 9aLa/Sunset 28 (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 14, 14 at 18:02

Planted AU Producer this year. Had much better results than with Sugar Baby and Crimson Sweet in prior years. But I noted even better reviews for AU Sweet Scarlet from Farmerdill and others. After surfing the web I'm not finding a lot of places with the seed. So where might one get seed?

This post was edited by grandad on Fri, Aug 15, 14 at 7:16

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: AU Sweet Scarlet Watermelon Seed Source

You leave the impression that there are a few places with the seed. if so, buy from one of them.

Willhite Seed used to carry it, but doesn't anymore. Perhaps not enough was sold, and they wanted to add some new ones.

I have raised AU Sweet Scarlet and it was fairly good, but I prefer Raspa from Willhite.

o

AU Producer is a better melon than Sweet Scarlet. I'd stick with it, and I've grown both of them.

o

• Posted by grandad 9aLa/Sunset 28 (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 14, 14 at 19:21

Wayne. Good point. Poor wording on my part... I should have typed "not finding any"... Also, thanks to both of you on the performance and on alternative cultivars to try.

o

I have not tried Auburn university to see if they have a group that continues older varieties, I have grown three of the 4 they developed. Au Producer, Golden Au Producer and Au Sweet Scarlet. Was going to trial Au Jubilant but Willhite discontinued it before I got around to it. Sweet Scarlet was my favorite. Really could not determine that Au Producer did anything better than Crinson Sweet. Same was true with The yellow fleshed producer versus the Yellow Crimson. Sweet Scarlet was unique and did not imitate any variety that I am aware of. I trial some hybrids but so far have not found any apprecailbly better than their OP counterparts. Most imitate Crimson Sweet, Allsweet, Charleston Grey or Jubilee.

o

If you'd like to try a REALLY good melon, better than anything mentioned so far, try Big Stripe. Wilhites sells it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here