Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blueringumbreon

Cucumber plants tangling, and a few other questions

blueringumbreon
9 years ago

I posted this in the new to gardening forum, but then read a post there saying it might be better to post here.

Im new to gardening and growing cucumbers, and I have a few questions.
I planted some cucumbers earlier this year. 2 pickle cucumber plants and 2 regular sized cucumber plants. I think the regular ones were called sweet cucumbers, or something to that tone, but I don't remember the exact name.

I planted them in rectangle plastic containers probably about two feet deep. And maybe 3-4 feet wide. They were actually drawers from those plastic dressers you can buy at wal-mart.

Anyway they have been doing ok, but I have a few questions in order to grow them better next year.

1. This is my main question. The vine tendrils have been wrapping around their own leaves and stems, creating tight little balls of leaves and flowers. Is it supposed to be this way, or should I try to keep them from tangling?

2. Will planting two different varieties next to each other cause cross pollination and deformed fruits? My cucumbers taste great, but most have ripened small and are a bit funny shaped. The pickle cucumbers grew a lot of short little balls and the regular cucumbers sometimes came to a sharp curled point and stopped growing after that.

3. Will planting them in containers like I described above stunt the plants' growth?

4. Should I pick off some young cucumbers if several start growing extremely close together?

Thank you.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations