Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ant infestation

Posted by stuffradio SW 8A BC (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 21, 12 at 19:17

There is an infestation of Ants on one my broad beans. They are a reddish ant. How should I kill them? I'll probably put a picture up later today. There are some more adult Ants, and then a bunch of little black bugs up and down the stems.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ant infestation

I just found out what it was by doing searching on Google. They are black flies, and the ants are farming the black flies. Supposedly I'm supposed to pinch off the top bit of the plant to get rid of them.

o

Black flies bite people but not plants.

Perhaps you have black aphids. (Pictures would help us know for certain.) Or another kind of insect which produces honeydew, the sticky stuff that ants collect.

If so, a directed harsh spray of water would work. As would direct hits of insecticidal sop, diluted according to label directions.

o

It looks similar to this.

o

Have you tried to spray them with a 10 to 1 dish soap and water solution ?

o

It is likley that is whats going on is they are farming aphids or doing something of the sort. Inspect the underside of the leaves and you should be able to locate them. As stated in the previous post as spray of water or soap spray will remove the eggs and juvenile aphids.
I have used a neem spray and recently been using a garlic spray that I am pleased with.
For the ants I made a bait using peanut butter and borax and sor far it seems to be working.

o

I need to find some sort of a strong sprayer. While I was watering with a water can, I knocked some of them off with the water. Haha

o

Well, if they are being farmed by ants, knocking them off won't do much. The ants will just pick them back up again and bring them back on up. Maybe some diatomaceous earth around the base of the beans to discourage the ants might work.

o

I'll bet that they call aphids black flies in BC....just like they call green aphids green flies in Australia and UK.

o

No, we call aphids aphids. I just looked them up and that is what they were referred to. So I thought maybe that's what they are.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here