Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Winter squash with damaged skin - repairable?

Posted by awascholl none (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 27, 13 at 19:20

Recently, somebody decided to use a weedwhacker a bit too close to my winter squash plants, and some sustained pretty bad damage. A few were 'lucky' and only have one or two gashes in them, but I wonder if they can heal, or is the cat out of the bag, and now they'll rot instead of continue to ripen? Is there some sort of nutrient, like one used for clones, that I could spread on the wound to help repair it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Winter squash with damaged skin - repairable?

• Posted by digdirt 6b-7a North AR (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 27, 13 at 22:19

I have found it all depends on the depths of the damage. If it is just the skin and not into the meat then they will often scar over and do fine. As long as bacteria doesn't get a handle in the wound. You can use a diluted mix of 10% hydrogen peroxide spritzed into the wound to keep it clean until it begins to scab. Otherwise keep it dry and exposed to the air..

If the wound is deep then they usually begin to rot so those I harvest, partially cook, peel, cut up the meat into chunks and freeze it. later it can be thawed, cooked and mashed.

Dave

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here