Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nfriday_gw

Briad-Leaved Batavian endive?

nfriday
9 years ago

Hi- I live in the Chicago area, and I just picked up some veggie plants at Anton's in Evanston. One of the 4 packs I picked up was labeled Broad leaf Batabian. I assumed that it was some type of Batavian lettuce. It now appears to be Broad-Leaved Batavian endive. I am normally not a big fan of endive, and I am not sure if I would have bought it if I knew. I was hoping to pick up some romaine plants, and they did not have any. Has anybody raised this? I tried to look for some reviews of this variety, and there are none. There are at least five seed companies that sell the seeds, including Cook's Garden and Fedco. How bitter is it. That is why I normally don't like escarole and endive, because they are too bitter for me. Some of the catalog descriptions for this report it as not being as bitter as most endive. Apparently it can be used both for salads and cooking. Any info people can supply me would be welcome. I don't know when I am going to plant it, because it is supposed to rain in Chicago all week. I also bought a four pack of Toscano Italian kale, which I assume is less bitter than winterbor. Thanks, Nancy.

This post was edited by nfriday on Tue, Aug 26, 14 at 20:45

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm