Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
westy1941

First-Time Squash Grower Questions

Carole Westgaard
10 years ago

Tomatoes, lettuce, herbs I've grown for 35 years but this is my first attempt at squash and a few other veggies. I think I planted them too close! Renting a 20x12 ft plot and squeezed in fifteen tomato plants, a dozen bell peppers, half dozen Fresnos and two Habaneros (which I've learned are the hottest so I'll be giving those away to the brave). I also squeezed in some onions, cukes, peas, beans and six squash (Zucchini, Summer - whatever that is - but that's what the tag said), Acorn and Butternut). OK the question: is it ok to cut off some of the squash leaves? I CAN'T FIND ANYTHING! It's just difficult to get around in there, naturally!

Westy

Comments (9)

• myluck
    10 years ago

I've been cutting leaves off my butternut to keep them clear around my other plants. And they are still growing. I cut them off at the vine. I think it makes them grow longer vines. "There goes the neighborhood"

• nancyjane_gardener
    10 years ago

Well, first of all.....6 zucchinis???? Are you nuts? Or do you have a family of 20 or so?
    Second, do you have the SVB in your area? I don't , so I don't know if that has anything to do with your growing conditions.I'm not sure if cutting the vines might invite the bugs or not.
    Out here on the best (west) coast, I have chopped the leaves away with no problems. But as I say, I don't know if this is a good idea if you have the beetles in your area!
    Happy Gardening! Nancy

• Carole Westgaard
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I lauged out loud, Nancyjane_gardner! NO - but I do have all three adult 'kids' out here - which is why we moved from Illinois to Boulder, CO. Totally different growing conditions needless to say. I've never seen tomatoes get so tall so fast (lotsa sun here and of course we can almost touch it at 5,000 feet) - but yes, I had no clue how many squashes would be produced by each plant! I've baked so much zucchini bread I should be selling it at a stand. My next recipe attempt will be a quiche with sliced squash! I'm desperate. Anyway, thanks for your help - I will be removing some leaves tomorrow just so I can see through the jungle. I don't know what SVB is but I've seen no bugs or evidence of any.

Oh - Myluck - I think you're right! The vines are going nuts on the two plants I've cut leaves off of - interesting.

Westy

• Lisa.from.CO
    10 years ago

westy1941, i'm just south of you near Golden. This is my first year planting pumpkins and cukes, and they're taking over the backyard! I'd also like to know if we have any major concerns here in CO with SVB! Being new to this forum, I've started reading many threads and quickly became nervous that they would ruin my cute pumpkins LOL. I've been checking for damage regularly. So far I've just been battling powdery mildew...yuck!

Your story reminds me one year my mother-in-law had so many zuks, she started to get creative with her bread recipes and decided to try a chocolate version. We though she was crazy, but it turned out to be the favorite of the family. Funny!

-Lisa

• gjcore
    10 years ago

Squash Vine Borer is not much of a problem in Colorado. I've never had them and doing a search on The Rocky Mtn. Gardening forum doesn't bring up any relevant hits.

• myluck
    10 years ago

Grow buttercup squash and you will think butternut squash are quite tame. Vines everywhere. OMG!!!! And they grow faster than you can walk

• Carole Westgaard
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Woa - Lisa in Golden!!! Chocolate zuke bread sounds fabulous! If you have the recipe, let me know - I'd love it. Otherwise, maybe I just add some melted choc bar? I also thought of adding mini choc chips like I do for banana bread - maybe even adding a banana. And that;s what I suspected, gjcore - no SVB in CO, because I have seen absolutely NO damage from anything (except baby bunnies who squeeze through the tiniest of holes in our 'critter prevention' fencing. Couple of bites out of the almost-red tomatoes. Also - I'll have to see if I can find buttercup squash seeds next year - actually I've never heard of it and I thought I knew everything! I've never even seen it in the grocer's. Looked for pattypan squash seeds this spring too, but no can find. Thanks to all of you! So nice to have friends close by doing the same thing. I guess we are lucky we don't have SVB here but the heat sure is a challenge - and they tell me this is nothing - that this is a great (cool) year - and way more rain than normal.

Westy

• ltilton
    10 years ago

Westy - you need more space. LOTS more space.

• Carole Westgaard
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I know we need more space - this is our daughter's condo in Rock Creek area - we're building in Erie but the lots still aren't big enough for me - 25 feet between houses - shallow front yards, back yard is like a large city lot. I wanted to go to the mountains - but it's WAY more expensive up there and Colorado ANYWHERE is more expensive than Illinois. I belong in the north woods of Minnesota where I was born! (except the season for growing veggies there is about 3 months.

Westy

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert