Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sopea

Best surprise of the summer!!

sopea
10 years ago

The last few years I've been on a quest to grow a snap bean that rivals the flavor of the French-cut pole beans Mom used to prepare with fatback.

We'd almost given up, thinking southern peas (zippers, Dixie butter, etc.) were the closest in terms of flavor - that is, until we picked the first of the rattlesnake beans today. And boy WERE THEY DELICIOUS!!!!!!! Sweet and very flavorful! Pot liquor was good, too.

Just had to share. Next summer it'll be 3 rows instead of one half.

p.s. - Also growing red ripper peas, but, so far, they're a real disappointment. Not very flavorful, which is sad as they're prolific and look tasty. Does anyone know what I'm not doing to make them taste better?

Comments (11)

• NilaJones
    10 years ago

Yay :)))). Maybe I will try those beans!

• carolync1
    10 years ago

Are you cooking your peas as shellies, snaps, or a mixture?

• nc_crn
    10 years ago

Rattlesnake beans tend to put out thick/meaty pods and make a good snap bean.

They make a good shell/dry bean, too.

They grow well in hot/humid climates when other beans give up. The only real drawback to them is they take a week or 2 longer to flower and mature compared to other snap beans.

• sopea
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We cooked them as snap beans, making sure to remove the strings.

Yes, it's unfortunate they take awhile to mature, or we'd be planting more right now. Heated the remainder for lunch, and they were as good as yesterday's.

Only garden pest encountered were what looked like small, yellow bugs (cuke beetle larvae?) on leaves' undersides.

Next, we'll try blanching, vacuum sealing & freezing, and also pressure canning to see which method seems to work best for preserving flavor.

Glad to see they're well appreciated elsewhere. We'll be dropping the red rippers and crowders in lieu of more rattlesnakes, dixie butters and black eyes next season for sure.

• ediej1209 AL Zn 7
    10 years ago

My son moved to Alabama from Ohio and is trying to garden. Gardening there is quite different from Ohio so when he asks me for advice on what to plant I'm never quite sure what would work for him. Would these beans work well for his climate, do you think?

Thanks,
    Edie

• potterhead2
    10 years ago

@SoPea;
    The small yellow bugs on the undersides of the bean leaves are probably mexican bean beetle larvae. They will demolish the leaves if left unchecked. If there's not too many you can just squash them. A large infestation will need spraying.

I agree about the rattlesnake beans. This is our first year growing them and they are out-performing every other bean! Definitely a keeper. Although we don't get the heat you get down south, it was a very wet, humid summer for us and the rattlesnakes seemed to love it.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    10 years ago

I was not attempting to experiment, but I did.

I had a real nice tulip bed near the vegetable garden. I decided to expand the veggies and that meant digging up the tulips. Done.

Since I still had the seeds, I planted Blue Lake Bush Beans where the tulips were! Good grief, what a wonderful crop. Never, ever have we had so many good straight beans. I pick every day and eat some and freeze the rest.

I should plant more tulips so that I can dig them up and plant more beans!

Jim

• sopea
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jim,

Glad to hear of your tulip bed success.

How's the flavor of those Blue Lakes?

• sopea
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jim,

Glad to hear of your tulip bed success.

How's the flavor of those Blue Lakes?

• sopea
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Edie,

I'd think Alabama would be gardening heaven. Long growing season and plenty of rain I imagine.

Suggest that your son make acquaintance with local gardeners and ask them for advice. I've cultivated a few friendships and learned a great deal just by stopping by someone's garden while out in the car. Common hobbies, as you know, are a great conversation starter. And it doesn't hurt when you offer to help with the weeding while chatting.

• nancyjane_gardener
    10 years ago

There might be a "gardening in Alabama, or southeast" board here, check it out! Nancy

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting