Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
erik333

Small & Mishapen watermelons

Erik333
9 years ago

Can anyone shed light on this occurrence in my garden? I am growing Ali Baba, Moon & Stars, and Orangeglo watermelons, both of which are supposed to exceed 15lbs - these are around 2-3lbs when ripe. Taste is fine or better than fine. But each fruit on the vine is a runt. Also, as you can see in the photo, the stem and blossom end are on the same side of the melon. These are supposed to be oval shaped. Here is some other info that may help your feedback:

* This is year 2 of my garden. Soil is heavy clay. I planted these watermelons in 12" deep x12" diameter holes where clay soil was replaced with bagged compost.

* Fertilized every few weeks since seedlings emerged

* I have a soaker hose that I run for about 2 hrs per week in the AM.

* I also grow a variety of muskmelons and honeydew types (and also Pumpkins this year) - those fruits are perfectly normal in size and shape.

* I get full sun.

Any feedback or advice is much appreciated.

Comments (8)

• wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana
    9 years ago

I do better with transplants. Watermelons need wide amending if soils need amending. The roots mirror the vines...long and shallow.

I raised ali Baba once, but they had no taste or sweetness...yes, I have grown some really great melons. I wasn't impressed by Moon and Stars. Orange Glo is the healthiest grower I have grown. Once a single plant made 222 pounds of melons. The texture and taste ranges from grainy to pretty good.

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    9 years ago

Malformed melons are from lack of full pollination. All seeds need pollination not just some in order to get a fully formed melon. Each seeds needs a pollen grain that germinates and sends a pollen tube down to the ovary. Too little pollination and the fruit is malformed because it's the pollinated seed that stimulates flesh development.

• Erik333
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for replies. Regarding the lack of full pollination, do you recommend hand pollinating? Is this problem more widespread with watermelons? I'm asking because all other fruits in my garden, including many heirloom musk/honeydew melons (which are in the same rows as the watermelons), are fully formed and reach full size.

Does the lack of pollination have any affect on the size the melon reaches? Besides being misshapen, they are about 1/5 the size they should be by now.

Thanks again.

• ceth_k
    9 years ago

the weed is rampant in the photo. control them or your crop will suffer.

• rayrose
    9 years ago

Watermelons like loose soil, and confining the roots to a hole surrounded by heavy clay will yield poor results. Weekly feeding is not necessary, and you've got too many weeds. Orangeglo is a long season melon and depending on when you planted it, may not be suitable for you.

• Erik333
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for replies. Regarding the lack of full pollination, do you recommend hand pollinating? Is this problem more widespread with watermelons? I'm asking because all other fruits in my garden, including many heirloom musk/honeydew melons (which are in the same rows as the watermelons), are fully formed and reach full size.

Does the lack of pollination have any affect on the size the melon reaches? Besides being misshapen, they are about 1/5 the size they should be by now.

Thanks again.

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    9 years ago

Your vines aren't vigorous enough to support big melons. You may not need weekly fertilizer but you need enough to grow big vines. They also need enough water. It sounds like your soil may not be good for melons. You might need a large raised bed of fertile soil. Agree that a hole in clay soil isn't best. If the clay drains slowly melons won't do well.

To grow big melons your vines need to look like this.

{{gwi:106669}}

{{gwi:106670}}

• fern1knits
    9 years ago

My melons look just as runty as yours! I, too, have clay soil and my melon management was similar. I have two moon & stars melons that have remained the size of my fist for over a month.

...I'm thinking that I might give up on melons unless I can provide it with better soil.