Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Butternut Squash - When is it ready?

Posted by rudysmallfry z6 (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 3, 11 at 20:24

So I planted Butternut Squash thinking it wouldn't do much of anything since my soil ph is low. Wrong. It took over the entire garden. I currently have about 20 full size squashes on the vine. How do I know when they are ready to pick? Currently they are all more pale in color than the ones I see in the stores.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Butternut Squash - When is it ready?

Let them stay on the vine as long as possible, until the fruits turn a buff brown with no green stripes(one variety turns orange). If the plants develop powdery mildew really bad I harvest before nights turn cold, otherwise I leave them out there through September. Be sure to cut a stub of stem when harvesting, and butternuts will keep all winter.

o

They keep all winter? That's good to know since I have no idea how I'm going to eat so much squash! What temp do I keep them in once I pick them? Will a 50 degree dry basement work?

o

Basement will work, we could take care of 20 butternuts no problem, I'll have ~15 and they'll all be used. Yum! I look at the stem and when dry-ish and brown-hard you can pick, but no problem leaving on.

Dan

o

That was my question too. Thanks for the information.

o

20 on one vine ? Wow, that's impressive. I usually consider mine a success if I get 6-8. Tell me your secret ! j/k

o

• Posted by luke_oh zone 5 NE Ohio (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 17, 11 at 23:43

My wife bakes and scoops the squash into zip locks and freezes. They freeze exceptionally well. Makes an excellent butternut squash soup in the winter months.

o

The way to tell when anything in the squash family is ripe is to look at the curly cue. On the stem just before the fruit there is a curly cue. When it has completely dried, then you know it is ripe.

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden For Nutrition

o

• Posted by glib 5.5 (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 19, 11 at 22:37

Butternut soup is a comforting winter staple, and roasted butternut goes well with chicken and exceptionally well with rabbit. A dry basement is perfect for storage. Do you really have 20 in one plant?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here