Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Should I prepare my soil with manure after growing tomatoes ?

Posted by shashi123 none (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 13, 14 at 20:42

Hi,

I have a small patch in a community garden. I prepared the soil with cow manure before I started growing vegetables. I had a good harvest of plum tomatoes. I was wondering if I should add manure to the soil again for fall crops,given that I had a good yield. Also is it a good idea to grow lettuce, spinach or broccoli in the tomatoes spot?

I had another question. The last two batches of tomatoes that i got from my plants have some problem. The tomatoes start developing flat dents as they ripen? And it slowly turns black on those spots. Is this some kind of a disease.? When i cut the affected part tomato it looks ok.

This is my very first time gardening. Any help is appreciated.

Thank you!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Should I prepare my soil with manure after growing tomatoes ?

As long as the manure is composted go ahead and use it. I wouldn't want fresh manure anywhere near what I plan on eating. And depending on where you are, the first frost could be coming in just a couple months. So there's not much time left to get a fall garden planted (and it might be too late for broccoli but again it depends on where you are).

Sounds like your tomatoes have blossom end rot (BER). I suggest you do a search about it over on the Tomato Forum.

Rodney

o

• Posted by digdirt 6b-7a North AR (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 14, 14 at 10:23

Agree that we need to know where you live as that tells us what your climate is like. That tells you how far ahead of planting you would add the manure.

Also agree that you should never use fresh manure anywhere in a food garden. Use well-aged, composted manures only. This is especially important when growing low level crops like lettuce and other things where the edible parts will come into direct contact with the soil.

Plus community gardens will usually have guidelines for when you can add/use manures.

So could you provide us with more information please?

Dave

o

Assuming you used composted manure, then yes, it wouldn't hurt to add more for a second crop in the same year - if you still have time. . And yes, you can grow those crops in the same place you grew tomatoes previously.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here