Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cherokee tomato plant

Posted by azzure08 7 (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 8, 12 at 20:43

I planted a Cherokee tomato plant that is not growing the fruit at a fast pace I have smaller fruit but that have not grown much. I know I did something wrong when I placed it in a pot with my sun gold tomato plant but I am a first time gardener and for time in containers. Is there any advice yall can give me(other than I made the mistake of putting it in the same pot.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cherokee tomato plant

Well, each tomato plant should have it's own very large pot if you are doing container gardening. They need a LOT of root room! Probably a wine barrel per plant would be great!
I had some CP's last year left over from a school garden that I didn't have room for. Popped them in the ground , thinking the gophers would get them, and they ended up sprawling all over the garden, giving me tons of large tomatoes!
Check out the container gardening forum if you're going to continue with the plants in pots! You'll be amazed at what they do in pots! HTH Nancy

o

Yeah, my Cherokees get VERY big (probably 8-10 feet). You definitely need a very large pot for them. A wine barrel would be the smallest I would go. See if you can get empty pots that some nurseries use for trees. Those are a little larger than wine barrels (more depth too). Those are what I use for container tomatoes.

o

thank you

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here