Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oregonwoodsmoke

Not Enough Zucchini

oregonwoodsmoke
13 years ago

I never in my life thought I'd ever say this:

I didn't plant enough zucchini.

I always do 2 plants, and that's just enough to have several good meals of zucchini each week for the long zucchini season. That's for everyone in the family, including the dogs.

Well, I had an empty tray in the dehydrator when I dried apricots, so I tried a batch of dried zucchini. Holy cow, that's good stuff. It disappeared as fast as I could remove it from the drier.

I've dried it plain, with just salt, with salt and pepper, with Costco's brand of Mesquite seasoning, and with smoked paprika. It's all delicious. You can't get a healthier snack and it disappears faster than potato chips.

My son scoops it up by the handful, crunches it down, and looks for more.

So, next year: more zucchini plants. I want to try it with cheese powder and with chipotle, but I am out of zucchini.

Comments (10)

• gardendawgie
    13 years ago

Well plant some seeds real fast.

• nygardener
    13 years ago

Time to head to the farmers' market.

I don't even grow summer squash (including zucchini) because there aren't any dishes I like with it. Maybe I'll buy some and try drying it. Thanks for the idea!

• sandhill_farms
    13 years ago

Is there any particular size zucchini that you use, and if you slice it how thick?

Greg
    Southern Nevada

• digit
    13 years ago

This is good to know!

I got DW a dehydrator this year. She still hasn't used it even tho' she buys a lot of dried fruit thru the year. It is really just starting but I'm hoping that she doesn't allow the tomato season to slip by . . .

I've got quite a few more than 2 zucchini plants. Take my zucchini, please!

Steve

Some people ask the secret of our long marriage. We take time to go to a restaurant two times a week. A little candlelight, dinner, soft music and dancing. She goes Tuesdays, I go Fridays. ~ Henny Youngman

• oregonwoodsmoke
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I used zucchini from small to large table size (no baseball bats), the large ones work fine and give a decent size chip. The little ones give a tiny little chip, which is delicious, just smaller. Slicing the small zucchini on the diagonal makes a larger chip.

I sliced them thin. The thinner the dried chip is, the crunchier it is. But wafer thin slices end up sticking to the drier and tear when you take them off the tray.

One thing to know, if you've never dried food before, is to do the seasoning very lightly. As the food dries, it gets smaller and the seasoning is concentrated.

I'm still waiting for one to get away from me and grow to baseball bat size so I can grate it up and make zucchini bread. No luck with that yet.

• glib
    13 years ago

Yes, they are delicious. The first year I planted them I had lots, I dried them (lemon pepper were the best), and the whole family loved them. Next year the SVB found them, and I have not had any zucchini chips in years.

• maxthedog
    13 years ago

whoa, now that is something I never considered with zuchs.

I was going to pare down my zuchs to just one plant next year, but with zuch chips, I think I might do 3 or 4!!! hah hahh

When you mean wafer thin, do you mean 1mm thick???

Do you have to get a dehyrator or can just the oven to the job?

• glib
    13 years ago

No need to buy a dehydrator if you get 5-day periods of sunny weather. Just place the trays in the attic. Of course, I never tried it with zucchini, because I discovered the method only two years ago, but it is perfect for mushrooms and peppers.

• t-bird
    13 years ago

oh man!!!

I got no zuchini yet this year - soil not strong enough I suspect!

I top dressed with mushroom compost - hope soemthing will come soon!

• nancyjane_gardener
    13 years ago

I dry zuks, tomatoes, peppers onions(chopped/sliced), vac seal them and use them in soups during the winter.
    Tip for the dehydrator- spray the trays with just a BIT of PAM or other spray before putting fruit/veges on.
    I haven't had a fire yet, but I wouldn't leave it unattended just in case.
    So far, so good, and the food comes off really easy. NT