Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nancyjane_gardener

Kind of a funny year!

nancyjane_gardener
10 years ago

Here in No CA (Sonoma Co., the "real" wine country), we've had some odd, but not out of the ordinary weather. We had a huge dump of rain in June which was a pleasant surprise, then a 10 day heat wave of high 90-100s. Then petty much normal mid-high 80s.
The last week has been rather cool, low 70s, but it's coming back up.
My maters have been using all this time growing into monstrous plants due to my DH's "HELP" of digging in a whole BOX of fertilizer at planting time! They are huge and healthy, and we are JUST getting our first tomato!(BLTs tomorrow!), Sungold in another bed is a good size, but I've only picked a half dozen. Usually I'm picking by the gallon off one plant by now! Green beans are coming in rapidly and I'm going to start another planting of them!
Peppers and eggplant (Ca Wonder and Ichiban, I beleive ) are doing fine in my new high raised beds (8'x40"x1'deep), but cukes, zuk and yellow squash as well as delicata squash are looking ratty and yellow. I think it might be the soil my neighbors put into the containers. I had them moved with a tractor to my house. so I really don't know what the soil is that they used. I have used Osmocote time release fertilizer as recommended by the people on the container forum, and added a soil amendment (sort of a wood chippy kinda thing since I couldn't find pine fines anywhere) I am still getting 2 or so yellow and green squash a week which is fine with me! Just right! LOL
Getting ready to clean out my 2 small beds for the fall/winter stuff. I slow down during the winter even though we CAN garden pretty much 12 months a year here.
Nancy

Comments (2)