Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bring peppers indoors?

Posted by rich_manure z6 SEMA (richdelmo@aol.com) on
Mon, Aug 26, 13 at 21:22

I have a couple of bell pepper plants in containers that have a few mature fruit each and several small flowers and tiny fruit. There isn't enough time for the small ones to fully grow so when the time is right any reason why I can't bring them indoors and set them in a south facing location to allow further growth. Not expecting anything new once indoors just want to develop whats already there at the time they come in.

This post was edited by rich_manure on Mon, Aug 26, 13 at 21:26

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bring peppers indoors?

Rich: Shouldn't be a problem. Peppers are actually perennials... frost just normally does them in though.

However, growth will slow due to less hours of sunlight and less BRIGHT sunlight due to the winter sun.

If you snip some flowers and buds, the plants will direct it's energy into those fruit that remain.

I'd try to leave them outside though as much as possible until it gets cold --- and even then, you may want to do the "roulette" thing... let them out on warmer days in the fall and bring them in when temps at night hit the low 40's. There's just no substitute for good ol' DIRECT sunshine.

Also, when you do bring them in, keep an eye out for aphids and OVER watering.

Kevin

o

Peppers are often overwintered indoors. Plenty of threads about how to do this here on GW, see link below. One of the keys, as mentioned, is don't overwater.

I am hoping to grow one that will overwinter outdoors in my zone 9 garden. My Rocoto pepper (c. pubescens) survived last winter mostly unprotected and is in it's second season producing like a champ. But that is a hot pepper, I want a sweet pepper that will do the same.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/pepper/msg090801272024.html

o

thanks for the feed back you two, I din't realize peppers were perennials which changes my plans for the better. I was just going to let them survive until they finished fruiting but now an entirely different strategy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here