Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nancyjane_gardener

So So tomato year!

We've had great temps, changed beds for the season, added compost, added osmocote.....
Normally I'm up to my ears in tomatoes by now! I do know I'm going to get SOME tomatoes, but they just aren't what they have been in the past!
I've only just made my first sauce of the year!
We're in a drought, but I'm on a well and take great care in how I water!
I don'y know if you can help......just venting! Nancy

Comments (20)

• HotHabaneroLady
    9 years ago

We are having a not-so-good tomato year here too. It didn't really sink in for me until I was at an event put on my the master gardeners at the end of last month. They have a demo garden and the tomato plants were small with very few fruits. Most of my plants are full size, but with few fruits. The ones I am getting are small.

The last time I checked, we actually had a rain surplus, so drought is not the problem. But we have not had the 100 degree, humid days that we usually get. I blame the unusually cool, wet weather this year.

Angie

• glib
    9 years ago

here we just had a 4.5 inches event. it was epic. I have not seen my tomatoes yet (came home from work and just stayed inside), but I don't think I want to see them.

• loribee2
    9 years ago

Mine is a little hard to figure. My brandywine is DOA. Some sort of fungus got it. The Big Beef that is planted two feet away in the same bed is going like gangbusters. I've never had so many big beautiful tomatoes from this variety before. The Cherokee Purple right next to that is very mediocre. It's usually my best producer. This year it started out with leaf curl and only started rebounding when I cut it way back. I'll get some, but not as much as I've had in the past.

On the other side of the garden I've got New Girls, which is producing well, but the tomatoes are small and blotchy. I'm not impressed with the flavor. And really, I don't know why I still bother with early tomatoes since they never ripen much earlier than everything else. I should save the space and just grow something better.

My Martha Washington next to it is producing good fruit, but I've got more foliage than fruit.

So....this is my long way of saying my results have been mixed this year.

• ltilton
    9 years ago

Not enough heat here for prime tomato growing.

• ediej1209 AL Zn 7
    9 years ago

After last year's epic fail where we lost almost every plant to Gray Mold from too cool/wet to high heat/drought practically overnight, I had high hopes for this year. Nope, another too cool/wet year so the tomatoes are like stuck in neutral (although at least they are still alive, which is better than last year.) They grew some, but not huge, we are getting a few turning here and there but nothing to write home about and the taste is very bland. Phooey!
    Edie

• wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana
    9 years ago

The tomatoes here are really nice and big!

• sunnibel7 Md 7
    9 years ago

Dang, it's funny how it can vary with just a little distance- I just pulled in 23 lbs yesterday from 12 plants. Have been at that level for over a week now, started harvest a few weeks ago. I have unusually heavy fruit set which I relate to the cooler than usual temperatures, usually the heat ramps up fast in the spring so the pollen becomes unviable earlier. However, on the down side we are in a local drought. In my area of Southern Maryland we have had 0.3 inches of rain in a 7 week period. It's been real frustrating watching the rain go just the other side of the Potomac on the radar map time and again!

• gardenman101
    9 years ago

We have had a relatively mild summer so tomatos really diddnt do much here. So far all ive gotten were a few cherrys. Rest of the garden pretty much fell victim to groundhogs. Dont know wether im going to have a garden next year as between weather and groundhogs I havent gotten much from it.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    9 years ago

We're having a so so summer for tomatoes too. The plants are small and were slow to set fruit. I've had one Fourth of July planted out front, the only place I have full sun. Happy I did that, because I've been picking a little bigger than golf sized ripe fruit for about three weeks. I've had a smattering of Sungold cherries, but nothing to speak of from one plant. Have eight plants in the back main garden and I've probably only picked 5 ripe tomatoes so far in addition to the Sungold.

The foliage on everything but one plant looks healthy. Our weather has seemed ideal actually. Rain at just the right times, so I've not had to water with a hose too often. We did have enough hot and sunny days. All my tomatoes in the main garden were in that new soil I purchased that was heavier than what I'm used to, so I'm blaming it on that.

We're having a bumper crop of cucumbers and string beans and already harvested plenty of other vegetables, so the tomatoes have been the most disappointing.

• glib
    9 years ago

I see that the polar vortex is going to be back early, like in September. We may have a september frost. Isn't anyone happy that these pitiful plants will be put to sleep in a timely manner? on with the collards and carrots.

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    9 years ago

My year has been so-so to pitiful as well. Some have gotten sick and so I am just yanking them. Some are looking quite healthy but not a lot of fruit. Sungold which normally does fabulous has not put out much this year. Rain has been quite variable and so have the temps. July was often warmer than usual and then it cooled down drastically. Unfortunately, my woes are not limited to the tomatoes. I have not picked a summer squash yet. The only things that look really good are the celery root and the onions that survived the grasshoppers.

• nancyjane_gardener
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I went to a farmers market this afternoon, and even their's were pretty wimpy!
    I think I'll be picking the last of my green beans tomorrow. I did plant another batch that I hope will go into late Oct or Nov Nancy

• jonfrum
    9 years ago

Here in eastern MA, this is my best tomato year ever. We had a cold, late Spring, but since then it's been all good. I'm looking for people to give tomatoes to.

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

I must have 800 lbs of tomatoes on 200 plants, they're all green! I picked a bunch of Black Krim today that were starting to break, but I don't think I'm going to get any more since they don't have any blossoms, the leaves have been drying up and withering away. Some Bloody Butchers and 1 Moravsky Div ready, but even cherries are slow. HUGE Brandywines, Mark Twain (double fisters), Grandma Mary's etc. just nothing ripening.

We got 1.5" of rain in 36 hours, I had some determinates break, I'm surprised there wasn't more damage but it's been very wet - though inconsistent so there's some BER. And lots of septoria on my field tomatoes, the "tunnel" (no plastic yet) tomatoes have some spots that look like EB but are very vigorous and loaded with fruit, no spot/speck that I can see. But off of 72 plants (56 indeterminates, 16 determinates planted June 4 - 18) I have only picked 1 breaker! The tomatoes planted over the same period in the old (less fertile) beds are more diseased, but at least are ripening!

• glib
    9 years ago

So after the 4.5 inches of rain this Monday, we are going to have a low of 43F tonight. It might drop in the high 30, if recent drops are any guidance. I don't even know why anyone would want to grow tomatoes.

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    9 years ago

Oh glib, ouch is all I can think of. Where are you that it is getting that low already? You have my sympathies. I have come to believe that in the spring, the garden proves I am not a total cynic and later in the season I am convinced gardening is a spiritual/character building experience.

• ilovecucumbers Zone 6b, NE PA
    9 years ago

Confirmed late blight. Yanked plants from one raised bed. Other plants are hanging on and am getting tons of unblemished fruit. I've read that this can happen, and with the first cool wet day the blight is back. But I got far more maters than I thought I would, and they're freaking huge.

• glib
    9 years ago

Near Detroit. The 4.5 inches storm (up to 6 in parts of the Metro area) paralyzed the area for 2 days. I have had maybe 20 tomatoes. Actually I don't even like them all that much, I am more of a roots and greens (and zucs and beans) type of guy. It is just the principle.

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

Yow glib, don't send those temps this way! We already got the rain (TWC revised it to say 1.79" yesterday and 0.5" the night before but I could believe we got more than that). I have to get some ripe tomatoes to market!

• sunnibel7 Md 7
    9 years ago

So funny, the day after I mentioned our drought we got our 2 months of missing moisture... In a 15 minute deluge! Luckily I pulled all of the breaking tomatoes before the rain and only the cherries are splitting. The bad news I'm gonna have to shovel the driveway back out of the neighbors yard!