Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
glib_gw

Apparent partial success with SVB this year

glib
10 years ago

This year all zucchini and summer squash are still alive, and at most two appear less than prosperous (I have about 10 planted). Ten is without a doubt too much summer squash, but here it is barely enough to eat in late June-early July before the plants succumb.

I have done three things:
1) in 2012, I pulled every plant and killed every SVB larva. I also turned the leaf pile in the back, some 30 ft from the garden. It is a very large pile, some 25 ft long and 6 ft wide, and I used it all in the orchard which is 2 miles away
2) this year, I painted Sevin on the stems of all squash
3) Three weeks later, I slit every plant all the way and past the first set of leaves, pulled every larva I could find, then covered with compost.
(there were maybe 2 per plant, as opposed to 7 last year)

I am going to have too many zucchini this year (the tromboncino also are starting right now), and no bok choi as a second crop in the same space. It is a good thing because the temperatures have been consistently in the 70s through the summer, and zucchini and beans are almost the only game in town as far as summer vegetables. I think that killing every larva last year and the insecticide this year did drop the population to levels that are manageable by slitting. If the stem is left completely unprotected, but poisoned, it may kill adults as they try to lay eggs.

Comments (24)

• lilydude
    10 years ago

Has anybody tried using a trap crop? Plant some stuff that the bugs really like, and then spray them with some nasty systemic insecticide, or burn the plants or something. So you wouldn't harvest anything from those plants, but you might knock the pest population down. I don't know if that would work in this case or not.

• glib
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The squash is the trap crop.

• 2ajsmama
    10 years ago

I hear they like Hubbard even better than zucchini. Could use that as the trap crop.

• zzackey
    10 years ago

Leaffooted bugs love sunflowers. I've had more than my share of those darn things. My sunflowers just started to bloom. I had shoulder surgery about 6 weeks ago. Everything has been let go because of that. So hard not to do much of anything! Waiting for healing. I just had a hatch of the darn things a few days ago, plus a major hatch on my nice pepper plants a few days before of a bug I never saw before. I hope I was able to kill them all. I don't spray anything, so it can be quite a challenge.

• daninthedirt (USDA 9a, HZ9, CentTX, Sunset z30, Cfa)
    10 years ago

I like the idea of painting stems with Sevin. I'm wondering how much that contributed to your success. That's easy to do, even repeating weekly or after it rains. I'm uncomfortable spraying it, or dusting with it, because if it gets on the flowers, your bees are toast. Painted liquid should stay where you paint it. Of course, to those who are concerned about eating Sevin residuals on the fruit, if you apply the paint to the stems, there ends up being none on the fruit.

Slitting stems and covering with compost works for vining varieties, but seems hard to manage with upright varieties. Not sure I can picture doing that with zukes.

I'm always suspicious of trap crops because it would seem that they just attract the insects you least want to have around to your area. Unless those trap crops are laced with powerful insecticides, I can't see that they'd do a lot of good in reducing populations of those you'd rather not have around.

• glib
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I think that if the stem is well painted, SVB that will land there will die, and then they will not go on to the next plant. I can not disentangle the effect of having taken away a huge pile of leaves, last year killing, and the Sevin this year. The overall effect was a factor of four reduction. Last year the last zucchini I pulled had 24 larvae, but the average was closer to 7.

But I can definitely say that in the past I was making too short slits. You have to slit all the way up, 8 inches or one foot, and then you can open the vine and really inspect all of the inside. And there were larvae up in the stem, perhaps from eggs that were deposited high on the plants, and those I would miss in years past. The vine looks bad after, a piece of tape to make it more or less whole helps.

10 years ago

Those are good points. Thanks. The idea of making long exploratory sits in the stems seems a bit aggressive, though. I just look for frass, and make a slit there. How may times do you have to completely slit a vine, top to bottom? Ouch.

I have wondered about, and never gotten any feedback on, the following idea. Sevin is a bit pricey by the gallon, but BT is cheap. Why not just take a big syringe, and fill the major stems with BT solution? Just pump 'em up. Do they leak? Anyone inside would get killed, and to the extent the BT hangs around, it would discourage infestation. I think there are seams in the stems, so you may have to do the pumping in sections.

• glib
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Others have had success with a syringe. I have not. The stems are solid, it is not so easy to pump them up.

10 years ago

I'm a little confused. If zuke stems are solid, why are you slitting them?

• zzackey
    10 years ago

The leaffooted bugs are already here. I live in an extremely wooded and weedy area. Most of which are not on my property. My friend about a block away had hordes of them on her sunflower plants. I thought I could attract them and spray them. I have only seen one at a time on 5 sunflowers planted in a row. Geez, guys, I only have 3 honeybees at one time in my yard. I'm certainly not going to use Sevin to kill SVB's. How do you know for sure that the Sevin you spray on the plants doesn't get into the squash? Sorry to hear Hubbard's attract them more. I had planned to plant some of them.

10 years ago

I think what's being talked about here is PAINTING Sevin on squash stems. I like that idea specifically because it doesn't fly off everywhere you don't want it (which dusting would do as well). Bees don't land on squash stems.

Sevin, BTW, won't do anything to leafooted/stink bugs. Maybe to the little ones, but the big ones just laugh it off.

• glib
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The base of the stem is solid or semi-solid. It is where SVB nest and feed. Higher up in the plant, the stems are hollow but there are no SVB. I found it difficult to inject properly. Your needle (the needle hole) has to be exactly in the SVB cavity, or else it does not work. I tried injecting the hollow stems above the short trunk, and that did not work either, the stuff did not percolate. Feel free to test it yourself, and report, if you find a better technique. I never had my own zucchini on Aug. 12, except in my first year of gardening (1997), I thought it was worth reporting. In fact I will have to eat zucchini tomorrow too, I am about to go on vacation.

10 years ago

I guess I've always seen SVBs up where the stems were hollow. But it's been a while since I did zukes (because of SVBs!) It sounds like you tried filling up the hollow stems with BT, and I gather that didn't work. Interesting! Thanks for your insights.

• zzackey
    10 years ago

I don't use chemicals on anything. That's why I garden. So I don't have to eat chemical laden foods.Good thought about the bees not landing on the stems. Still so few bees around here I wouldn't feel right even killing one.

10 years ago

I respect that desire. As to chemical-laden foods, Sevin is pretty innocuous. It is not absorbed into the fruit, and washes off the plant and biodegrades quite readily. I would not, however, suggest munching on zucchini stems right after you've painted them!

• zzackey
    10 years ago

I don't know much about chemicals. Only that I am afraid of using them. I worked at a nursery in the 80's where I had to spray a back pack full of chemicals every Friday for a year before I quit working there. There were absolutely no bugs, lizards or birds there. Very scary. I have mild COPD. Some of that might be blamed on all of the chemicals I was routinely exposed to.

• Creek-side
    10 years ago

I too am strictly chemical-free. Last year I had my first real bout with SVBs, and I didn't know anything about killing the larvae and all that, so this was bound to be a bad year.

This year I planted 20 summer squash. Every single one had SVB. I did at least one surgery on all of them. In the end I lost only five, which left me with plenty of fruit to give away to family and friends. I planted 25 winter squash, and none of them had SVBs. Only two of my pumpkins germinated. One got root rot, and the other I missed the SVB on until it was too late.

I have removed all the dead squash from my property. Next year I'm ready to be more vigilant in checking early and often for frass. I'll probably get some BT also. I can deal with 75% success. I'll probably even plant a few more squash.

• zzackey
    10 years ago

How do you do surgery?

• springtogarden
    10 years ago

Zackey, hope you heal fast from your shoulder surgery!

• glib
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The problem with frass is you do not get all entry points (I always see fewer entry points than I find larvae), and the larva is often an inch up or down if it has been allowed to feed for a while. The metal wire method never worked for me for this reason, and small slits also do not work, although they could work if somehow I were to slit right after the larva has entered. Frass and larvae also have similar colors inside the stem, and if the larva is tiny you may miss it.

• zzackey
    10 years ago

From what I have read there are some varieties of squash that are more resistant to SVB. I just don't grow yellow squash anymore. Lost two plants two years in a row. I only plant two, so it was a total loss. I'm hoping this shoulder settles down soon. It's hard to be inactive. BT works for them?

• zzackey
    10 years ago

From what I have read there are some varieties of squash that are more resistant to SVB. I just don't grow yellow squash anymore. Lost two plants two years in a row. I only plant two, so it was a total loss. I'm hoping this shoulder settles down soon. It's hard to be inactive. BT works for them?

• grandad_2003
    10 years ago

Agree with the above posters that dusting/spraying the stem with Sevin has contributed most towards deterring the SVB. I have used this practice for several years with great success... being careful to dust ONLY the stem. However, after a rain the dust or spray needs to be reapplied. Also, after the stem reaches about 18 inches, I typically let the SVB's have the plant.

I believe the dust works more of a deterrent -- keeping the moth from laying an egg on the stem. For those who do not like Sevin, I am sure there are alternatives, perhaps some which are organic alternatives. I have not tried the (non-organic) synthetic pyrethrins type dusting powders yet but I would guess that these would work just fine. (Check the label.)

• Creek-side
    10 years ago

zackey: I slice mine open as far up the stem as they are hollow and as far down as the roots allow - usually 5 or so inches, depending on the size of the plant. The cut needs to be straight in the direction of growth so that it doesn't cut across at all. Then I pry it apart and kill whatever I see inside and generally scrub around with the razor blade, again, in the direction of growth, until I am satisfied that nothing could have survived. Then I wash out the insides and cover everything with dirt. Then I water every day. It seems to work as long as you plan on losing half of your plants.

This post was edited by Creek-side on Fri, Aug 16, 13 at 21:56