ChicagoDeli37
11 years ago

Any idea of what a good price would be to

sell fresh herbs in bags like this:

{{gwi:107511}}

Comments (16)

• Slimy_Okra
    11 years ago

I'd say about $2 to $3 a bag but it depends. What are grocery store prices? Where are you selling your bags? Are there other people selling fresh herbs?

• wolverine1012
    11 years ago

Are you in Chicago? The city proper or one of the suburbs? Remember it's all about location, location, location. You'd command a higher price in the city because of lack of competition (other sellers and people unable to grow things themselves)

• ChicagoDeli37
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I own a deli in the city. And currently
    trying to use our own products here.
    Herbs are getting big and I figured we
    May as well try and sell them?
    Any ideas on how to do this?

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    11 years ago

I would look in the grocery stores first to get an idea. Around here, a bunch of parsley is about .80 and often goes on sale for .50 but I have never seen Thai basil in the grocery store so that may go for more.

If it were me, I would prefer not to purchase in a bag like that. At one of our farmer's markets I have seen growers group them in bunches with rubber bands and she has them sitting in a cup of water (like bouquets) to keep them fresher. Good luck in your endeavors.

• lizbeth_pa
    11 years ago

I would think they would do well. I'd sell them for $2/bag. Try a smaller sandwich bag size, too maybe for $1. I bought a fresh container of potted basil for $2.50. Try selling some potted up! That might be more popular, also more fragrant! Everyone will see it and go, ahhh, smells sooo good! Try potting up your mint, and selling it too!!

• denninmi
    11 years ago

I kind of second the thought about NOT using the bags, especially for basil. It can rot pretty fast and also get crushed and browned. I would consider maybe bunches in water, wrapped in a clear celophane sleeve. Acrylic clamshells might be an in-between compromise. Honestly, I don't have a clue about the economics of those, the price might be prohibitive, but they do a great job protecting the contents.

Price wise, I think around $2 is about right, but it's really going to depend on the market. Grocery store herb prices here are all over the board, Meijer sells bulk bunched as cheap as 69 cents for things like cilantro and dill much of the time, on the other extreme, some of the really upscale private markets are charging $3 to $4 for a very small bag or clamshell of herbs.

I think it's really cool that you want to do this, I hope you find a really great marketing method and formula.

• ChicagoDeli37
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the advice.
    I figured the plastic bag wasn't the best idea.
    I have so much of the Basil. Which is not something we use
    a lot of at the deli.
    Parsley is still small
    And the others aren't used much either.
    So I figured atleast try and sell some.
    Not sure we have the customer that are
    Looking to buy herbs.
    Its mainly lunch crowd with city workers and offices..
    We are actually being featured on Chicago's best in cltv.
    this Sunday night. In which they show the
    Garden.
    Anyways ill update with pics and info.
    Thanks again

Any freezing methods with all these?

• lizbeth_pa
    11 years ago

For freezing herbs, try putting a small amt of any herb individually in an ice cube tray, fill w/ water and freeze. After the herbs freeze, you could dump them in a plastic bag and then do the process of freezing herbs in ice cubes all over!! You can do this for mint, raspberries, etc. I need to do some freezing of my mint for the winter!

• mandolls
    11 years ago

For my money there is nothing much better than a home grown tomato and fresh basil sandwich - or a tomato/cucumber/onion/basil salad. Try those in your deli. I think you are right that a lunch crowd is not going to be taking fresh herbs back to the office.

I have been using tons of basil at home making Thai basil eggplant - yum!

• leira
    11 years ago

It depends on your office crowd, of course, but I wouldn't necessarily decide they'd never buy fresh herbs until you try. Once a week there's a vendor that comes into my building, selling fresh fruits and vegetables, and on that day, I see bags on the desks of plenty of coworkers. During the Summer, there's a farmer's market a couple of blocks away that does a brisk business.

As for office workers...many of them are busy, and at least some of them are bound to cook when they get home. Assuming I didn't have my own herb garden (which I do), I would be more inclined to cook with fresh herbs if I could acquire reasonable quantities at a reasonable price without having to go out of my way to do it.

You may have already drawn in some of the right sort of clientele if you have a garden for them to come and gawk at.

• zzackey
    11 years ago

If I was at your place for lunch I would be tempted to buy a bag of your nice looking herbs! We put basil on our pizza. What a great flavor. That and lots of garlic. Do you serve pizzas? I would think little 4 inch pots would sell good for you too. Some of your customers must grow plants. You might need a special license to sell plants,though. You do in Florida and Georgia. Plus your plants need to pass inspection by the agricultural inspector.

• nancyjane_gardener
    11 years ago

Do you have enough to make pesto? A slab (or swipe? I don't know!) of pesto is very popular here in CA!
    You can actually freeze it and rejuvinate it by adding a bit of O Oil and giving it a stir.
    I make batches, top it with OO and have some all winter!
    HTH Nancy

• Slimy_Okra
    11 years ago

In Germany and Italy, one can find a tomato, fresh mozzarella (the type that comes packed in water and is very perishable) and basil or basil pesto sandwich, usually with foccaccia. Good hot or cold.

• nancyjane_gardener
    11 years ago

Slimey- MMMMMMMMMM

• ChicagoDeli37
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the advice. Im going to work on
    freezing some of this. I have so muchh!

• susan2010
    11 years ago

I just made a couple of batches of pistou to freeze. 2 cups of packed basil leaves processed with 2 tablespoons of chopped garlic, I teaspoon of kosher or sea salt, and a half cup of good olive oil. Freeze in half or one-third cup portions - top them off with a little extra olive oil to prevent freezer burn. You can use it in soups, sauces, and with fresh vegetables. Freezes great.

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio