Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marquette_gw

Any experience growing celeriac / celery root?

marquette
17 years ago

My parents used to grow this delicious vegetable. One year, the roots were grown in a section that usually wasn't used for crops. Don't think they received more than maybe 6 hours of sun a day, but I was a kid then, and could be mistaken on that point. The soil was on the wet side, no standing water or anything like that, just heavy clay that seemed to be perpetually moist. That year, the celery roots grew especially large and delicious.

I would like to try my hand at growing this vegetable next year. Have you had any luck with any particular variety? What would you say about their cultivation? Can they be grown with only six hours of direct sun? If not, how many hours do you think they require? Should I start seeds indoors? I wonder how they would take to 90-or-100-degree weather in mid summer (zone 6 southern NY)? And what pest problems I should expect?

Somehow I have the feeling that we won't be getting a separate forum on celeriac any time soon...... Did a search and found very few responses to questions about this vegetable.

Comments (11)

• billme
    17 years ago

They appreciate sun, water, and fertility. They don't mind heat given adequate water. They should be spaced generously. Cut off the greens if you plan to store them, and they'll last for months into the winter. Great for salads (shredded) soups, or asc a pureed side vegetable. A much underappreciated veggie, in my opinion.

• julieann_grow
    17 years ago

Oh no! I had read up on celeriac and planned to plant it under my cukes b/c what I read said "part shade".

Billme, since you have grown this, what do you think?

• gandle
    17 years ago

I have grown it for over 60 years and hadn't heard about it liking light shade. Perhaps I'll try that next year. The ones I harvest are about the size of my closed fist, hey I've got big hands. We look on it as a necessary vegetable for soups and it is great used as mentioned earlier. May take the vote for the ugliest vegetable though. Rather knobby and can be difficult to peel but really not much more that a knobby potato. Keeps very nicely in our root cellar for months.

• christiemoreen
    17 years ago

I started seeds indoors in early February--they can be slow to germinate and are slow growers for a while. Here in Seattle I planted them out in late March. It's a commitment of space and time in the garden, but well worth it--especially since celery root is $4/lb in the store! I harvested after the first (maybe 2nd) frost in late October. It takes the heat as long as it has plenty of water. In general, it has higher water and feeding needs than most vegetables. It likes sun--but I think 6 hours should be enough. I didn't have any pest or disease problems at all--once they were established they were the healthiest plants in the whole garden.

• digit
    17 years ago

We have grown celery root for 3 years now  in different locations each time. One garden is very exposed, very rocky soil . . . lots of sun. I donÂt know what the problem was but the plants did not do well.

One year it was in very good soil and partial shade  the plants grew nicely.

This season it has lots of sun and thereÂs been plenty of sun to go around . . . high temperatures, also. What IÂve noticed is that the plants closest to some bushes where they have maybe an extra hour or 2 before the sun reaches them in the morning are the largest. None of the plants have grown much to date and IÂm thinking that they have just been suppressed because of the heat. Hope that is the case as the weather is cooling now and IÂd like to see a little more NORMAL development.

We start them in a heated greenhouse  72 to a tray about the 1st of March. As I say, we had one very good year in good soil with quite a lot of shade. And, taste  delicious!

Steve

• marquette
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you so much for your helpful advice. I'll give Prague a try next year, unless there's another variety more suitable for my conditions.

This being my second year of growing a veggie garden, I haven't tried starting seeds indoors yet, so will need to buy the necessary equipment. Have to start a new thread, I suppose.

Thanks again for being generous with your information....

• nygardener
    17 years ago

All you really need for seed starting are some trays with humdity domes and a fluorescent shop light. You could try some now to get practice and start some fall greens.

Celeriac is easy to peel if you slice off the top and bottom, lay it on a cutting board, and pare the sides with a chef's knife. It's a bit too tough and bumpy for a vegetable peeler or smaller knife.

• chervil2
    17 years ago

I planted Celeriac President in early April inside and moved the seedlings into two locations in my garden in early May. One location had sandy soil amended with compost while the other site had fertile loamy soil. A few weeks later the difference in plant growth was profound. The loam location had plants three times as large as the sandy soil garden. Soil conditions appear to be critical to having large roots. The small roots and foliage in the sandy soil will be still be delicious for soups and stews. I once went to a dinner where celeriac was used for a coleslaw and the taste was fantastic. Celeriac is a very useful vegetable.

Chervil2

• paulns
    17 years ago

My experience re celeriac and soil was the same: sandy soil, small roots.

In Europe (Switzerland?) I had a delicious salad of root vegetables: a plate with one heap each of lightly steamed celery root, beets and carrots, a mayonnaise vinaigrette over all.

• marquette
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yes, grated celeriac is delicious. Have you tried Waldorf salad? It's heavenly..... From the taste of it, you'd never - ever - guess its ingredients.

• Violet_Z6
    16 years ago

marquette,

How else did you enjoy eating it other than the Waldorf salad?