Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What eats beet greens and chard?

Posted by NDGardener Indiana (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 19, 11 at 21:56

This is my first year gardening, and I recently looked at my beets and chard after a week (we were on vacation and had someone else watering), and some of the leaves are skeletal! Most of the beet leaves are gone, and it looks like whatever it is is just now starting on the chard. I can't find any bugs on the leaves, even in the evenings. They're basically being munched in between the leaf veins, leaving a skeletal remainder. Any ideas what this pest could be?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What eats beet greens and chard?

Caterpillars. Keep looking.

o

• Posted by glib 5.5 (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 19, 11 at 22:33

I am unaware of any caterpillars doing that to beta plants. But I have seen rabbits or juvenile groundhogs do that.

o

glib, the animals you mention don't typically carefully gnaw the flesh of the foliage, leaving the veins in tact. However, caterpillars will! Our original poster needs to look carefully for the beet armyworm or other such critters, at night with a flashlight.

o

Thanks for the tips! Whatever-it-is has been ignoring my half-grown lettuce in the next row, so I figure it's probably not rabbits. I'll do another search and maybe spray with some water-soap-cayenne mix. Thanks!

o

• Posted by glib 5.5 (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 20, 11 at 9:34

You are right, they do a rough skeletonization, leaving the main vein, but if it is a neat job of eating around the veins then it is something else.

o

OK, so I found one bug on my chard. It looks like ladybug larvae, but more orange and a bit shorter. I've been looking at google images for awhile and can't find it! Any ideas?

o

My chard is getting eaten all the way to the white vein and can't seem to find anything, How can I stop whatever is eating the chard from eating it? Can I spray something? I prefer organic solutions.

o

Check on Leaf Miners.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here