Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
[Human Interest] Tomatoe Thief

Posted by Handsome54 6a (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 9, 12 at 22:18

Had canned,gave away, & made all the salsa I needed, so I thought I might generate some cash for the irrigation fund by putting some tomatoes up for sale at the curb. I was charging 1.50/Lb. Someone was nice enough to pay me .31 for four pounds of (really nice Jet Star & Celeb) tomatoes.... End of tomato sale......

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: [Human Interest] Tomatoe Thief

Sorry to hear about that. My wife asked me why I dont put the extra up for sale via the honor system, that is exactlly why i dont. I have hactually found people in my fenced in garden helping themselves. It would be nice to be able to trust people, but do to a few bad apples it is hard for the trust.

o

A couple of years ago, there was a lovely man in the neighborhood who put his extra veggies in boxes along the curb, inviting anyone to share and share alike. We were driving behind a woman who stopped, jumped out, and wrestled with the whole box to get it into her car.

o

Sorry to hear about this. Hopefully it was someone who will at least enjoy eating their ill-gotten gain and not some punks who will throw them at cars, buildings, people, etc.

o

A few years ago when our local garden center ran out of tomato plants, they allowed us to sell our extras in their parking lot. We put the plants in the back of our pickup truck, put a coffee can with the the price in the seat and sold all of the plants in a day. We were at work so didn't check on it until evening. Didn't lose a penny on it. I guess the difference is between gardeners and non-gardeners. I've found gardeners to be extremely honest people, others not so much.

o

If honor system doesn't work in your neighborhood, the next best place is your parking lot at work. There is a neat little book on Honor System Marketing that covers the ups and downs well.

o

For years I gave away fresh vegetables at my curb side, but like others posted, I came to discover certain people were taking everything on the table...... I even heard of one person that was taking my free veggies & reselling them! It's cause for losing our faith in humanity. Now that I'm on a fixed income, & the drought being what it is, I was hoping to offset some of my ever increasing gardening costs. Obviously that won't happen. How do these folks sleep at night?

o

Once in a while I think about the local farmers market. But it turns out that these markets are now all run by a franchise organization that charges large fees and imposes onerous restrictions on the vendors.

There's more than one kind of thief. They make it much more trouble and expense than it's worth for the typical gardener.

I take my surplus to the food pantry.

o

My Mom still puts hers out on the honor system with no trouble, but my folks live in a rural area where most people know each other. Also she has a little sign that says to leave what money you can, it will help buy seeds for next year's garden. So far no one has taken all the veggies! She does consider it a real coup if someone takes a zucchini. Sorry to hear about your bad experience.

o

Ditto here on our farmer's markets.... By the time the average Joe jumps through all the hoops, it's a total waste. Food pantries are a good alternative.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here