Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
should I cut back my asparagus

Posted by grandprix1 6 (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 26, 10 at 22:21

My asparagus plants were planted in 2008. I planted both roots and seeds. Both root and seed plants are now big and bushy. I did not cut any asparagus in 2008, 2009 or in 2010, as I understood there should be no cuttings the first three years. What should I do now? I live in Pennsylvania. I have never cut the plants back and simply left them to grow. Should I just let them go? Should I cut them down? Next year will be the 4th year for these plants and I have never done anything to them. I'm anxious to harvest them next year! Thanks for any help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: should I cut back my asparagus

Cut them down when the ferns turn brown. It sounds like you can start harvesting next spring. Be sure to stop cutting them in time for new sprouts to grow up into ferns. Give them some nice fertilizer then.

o

Agree. Wait until they turn brown and die and then mow them off at ground level and mulch them well.

I use a good 3" layer of manured compost for my fall mulch so that feeds them well until late winter/early spring when they get a good feeding again. But if you don't have that then give them a good feeding of your choice with whatever mulch you use and another good early spring feeding.

Dave

o

You guys say a good feeding. Of what? I typically have a good batch of compost by about March and shovel some on each of my beds. That's the only "fertilizer" I've used so far.
I'm on my 3rd year and also ready to start eating!
I have raised beds and origionally planted about 20 crowns. It looks like about 10 came back.
I am dedicating this 4x8 bed to mostly asparagus with some shade tolerant things planted in between.
I'm thinking of planting another 10 this year.
What fertilizer besides my compost would do best in this bed? NT

o

• Posted by glib 5.5 (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 27, 10 at 9:02

Here, with the soil being acid, I give them large amounts of wood ash, maybe three cups per plant per year. I then give them some urea, maybe four ounces for 36 plants. Their bed is organic matter (mulch in various states of decay), so the timing of fertilization is not so crucial, there is a lot of binding and releasing.

o

You can cut back your Asparagus Fern but make sure you have at least one or two green branches. Without leaves the plant may die. With mine I don't give them fertilizer after October and they do just fine. I feed mine fish fertilizer...it makes them more lush and darker green in color.

o

FYI plantbliss, It isn't an ornamental asparagus as a houseplant being talked about, it is edible asparagus in a garden. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here