Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cugal

Tomato Issue........

cugal
10 years ago

Yeah, i know, I'm in the wrong forum......... Mods move me! Slowly losing 40+ tomato plants (Jet Star, Celebrity, & Mountain Fresh) to what appears to be early blight???? I drip irrigate, mulch to the hilt, & spray a fungicide from the start & this is what I come up with! I propagated these plants, so I know their history..... The few tomatoes I'm getting look fine until they're sliced, only to find what I describe as green snot (for lack of a better description) inside, poor texture & lack of taste.... What's GW think?

{{gwi:108386}}

{{gwi:108387}}

Comments (8)

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Sorry but that doesn't look like Early Blight to me. It looks like Botrytis Gray Mold and is a severe problem for many growers this year because of the unusually wet and cooler weather many are having. Is your weather normal or has it been exceptionally wet?

If I am corect then unfortunately there is little anyone of us can do once the disease is established except for warmer and drier weather and do anything possible to dry out the plant environment. Even fungicides are only palliative in the hope of buying some time and getting a few fruit..

Pull back the mulch, stripping and removing all the effected foliage slows it down as much as anything since it allows for better air circulation in among the plants.

I wish you luck.

Dave

• edweather USDA 9a, HZ 9, Sunset 28
    10 years ago

Agree that it's not blight. My first impression is some kind of wilt. Either way definitely remove mulch and all affected foliage to air out/dry out. I would spray with a good fungicide such as Daconil. I've sprayed 5 times this year with all the rain.

• uscjusto
    10 years ago

Picture of the "green snot"?

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Agree. As Edweather said remove all the affected leaves and spray as a precaution. I do not understand why you leave dead(possibly diseased) leaves on ANY plant ??. Even it they are not diseased, they make no positive contribution to plant's life and perhaps are just burden and a place to start a disease.

• cugal
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I can always count on GWs insightful input when I'm stumped! Dave (digdirt) & so many others have been & continues to be a light unto my path........ Beats the heck out of gardening by the seat of my pants! That said.....

Dave mentioned the wet weather so many of us have encountered this year & again, he's probably spot on about my current tomato issue. While I'm not familiar with Botrytis Gray Mold, it's prolly the culprit..

Here's some of the "green snot" I mentioned.... I can't bring myself to eat these as slicers. Perhaps canned won't be as bad..... Looks like it's all I'm going to get!

{{gwi:108388}}

I've planted in all venues....... Garden, raised bed, as well as containers to no avail. Here's a shot of the raised bed plants......

{{gwi:108389}}

And finally a pic of the willing recipients of my tomato disaster.....

{{gwi:108390}}

• Donna
    10 years ago

What a shame. If it's any consolation, I, for one, have learned something new by seeing your pictures and reading the other posts.

In gardening, as in baseball, there's always next year.

Nice chickens!

• cugal
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks so much donnabaskets! Yeah, we never know what mother nature will serve up! Gardening offers up a challenge that a lot of folks aren't willing to take on, but if you truly derive enjoyment from gardening, you'll continue to learn & grow in your hobby...... Next year will be better! ;)

OBTW............. my hens say "thank you".......

• 2ajsmama
    10 years ago

The picture is blurry, but from what I can tell looks like the normal green gel around the seeds. The bland taste could be the variety or could be too much water this year.

I agree, nice chickens!

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus