Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeanwedding

What killed 4 of my 5 rhubarb plants?

bought the smaller one at Southern States. The other 4 from local flea mkt, from a sweet Mennonite mother and daughter....
I had to remind her like 3 or 4 weeks in a row... to bring... LOL They (rhubarb plants) were nice size too.. much bigger than the single SS one. They died one by one...
The smaller SS one is still alive. stalks look nice sized.... I read not to pick them first season...
sure be nice to try the stalks since we want to try to sell this house and land.. (It was all a mistake buying this money pit)... So I may never get to take or use my own rhubarb if I dont use it this year...
Should I post a pic???? I tried years ago in my old home to grow rhubarb... no success..... so I was thrilled to find them at local flea mkt for $2 each potted in quart sized pots....
It took a while to finally get them planted, too
They looked great for a while esp with all the rain here this season
So yall advise please.. Did I plant right or did they get a disease, etc... Now they were close to either tansy or yarrow(dont know the difference in the two. They died off one at a time....too.. so discouraging......boo hoo...
thanks yall
Jean

Comments (9)

• florauk
    10 years ago

Pictures would certainly help, as would some idea of when and where you planted the rhubarb and how you treated it after planting.

There could be several reasons why some failed to thrive.

1. Moving rhubarb in full growth is not the best time.
    2. Rhubarb needs plenty of moisture and rich ground.
    3. Different cultivars behave differently
    4. In some climates rhubarb goes dormant in summer.

• jean001a
    10 years ago

Needs plenty of moisture. But rots if waterlogged.

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Agree with Flora points that planting/transplanting time is vital and especially this far south as rhubarb isn't a perennial southern crop in most situations. it is an annual only.

So did you plant these in late winter/early spring as needed, amend the soil first really well, and keep them well watered?

Dave

• jeanwedding. zone 6
    Original Author
    10 years ago

took two pics i noticed one of te front rhubarb stalk is bad looking... Can I use any of the remaining??? Like I mentioned earlier hope house is sold soon, so this may be my only chance to taste my own organic raised rhubarb... LOL
    I did the best I could under the circumstances this place is overwhelming,,, but I did use organic transplant solution and fed it under the plant with organic slow release fertilizer like I did all y transplant of all type
    thanks yall

• florauk
    10 years ago

I can't see anything at all wrong with the plant in that picture. Is it supposed to be one of the unhealthy ones? Leaves age and decline - that's nature. I don't see anything 'bad-looking.' I would have not compunction taking a picking off that plant. It could spare about 6 stalks imo.

What is the orange ring thing for? It looks as if it will soon be restricting the rhubarb's growth. I don't know what organic transplant solution is but I'd guess it's unnecessary.

Rhubarb is transplanted traditionally in mid winter here. It is supposed to benefit from being dug up, exposed to frost and replanted. As you can tell it's tough stuff.

• jeanwedding. zone 6
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ah......., this is the only remaining plant... all the other 4 died. The reason I asked about taking any of the stalks.... is that I just bought the ,,,,this plant ,back in the spring and planted it.... I read not to take anything from first year of a rhubarb plant...
    by the way that wilted leaf belongs to a bad looking stem... So how many stems do I take ??? or rather leave???
    thanks all
    Jean

• florauk
    10 years ago

The wilted leaf is absolutely normal for late summer. Leaves and their stems don't necessarily last a whole season. As I said above, it could spare about 6 stalks imo.

And what is that orange thing for?

• jeanwedding. zone 6
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks all, That red thing is half of the case for a broken fish tape reel, you know the kind for fishing walls etc,.. It was broken .Hubby wanted to throw it away, I remembered, I had bought some of those(3) red "trays" several years ago. Supposedly they go around plants esp. tomato plants. supposedly, the color, red ,supposedly to help plants?
    At the time the real red "trays" were back at the old house. LOL

• florauk
    10 years ago

Woo - way out of my experience. What's fish tape? What's a fishing wall?

The red idea is supposed to help tomatoes ripen. I have no idea if it works. But rhubarb doesn't ripen. It's just stems so even if it works on tomatoes it will do nothing for rhubarb.