Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Correct soil ph for muskmelons and watermelons

Posted by edweather 5 (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 2, 08 at 23:03

I'm already thinking of my garden for next year and have been researching ph requirements for melons. Almost every source suggests a ph of 6.5 to 7 for both watermelons and muskmelons. Amy Goldman, in her book suggests an alkaline ph of 7 to 8 for muskmelons. She's supposed to be an authority on the subject, but the only one who says this. I've had pretty good results this year with soil around a neutral ph of 7 for watermelons and muskmelons, but would like to tweak it in the proper direction next year. Any thoughts?? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Correct soil ph for muskmelons and watermelons

Forget about what this or that author says. Most anything you ever will want to grow will do fantastic at a neutral pH. Get yourself a soil test at a lab and check out the calcium and magnesium levels. If they are low then you can certainly add some lime to add them and lower pH at the same time, but a neutral pH is just fine for most things.

o

if you have lots of organic matter in the soil the ph does not matter. the ph is more important only with hydroponic. you are not growing hydro so forget it. get more compost into the soil. organic matter is what counts not ph.

The local microscopic level ph will vary with the decompositon of the organic matter. it will vary with the moisture level. the only important thing for ph is that all the elements are available to the plant. elements are available over a broad range of ph.

hydro ph is different than soil ph. you do not want to grow in soil at the best hydro ph. it is apples and oranges.

o

• Posted by anney Georgia 8 (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 3, 08 at 8:54

Maybe the link below will help.

Here is a link that might be useful: Soil PH for Vegetables

o

Concur with Justaguy and Dangold. Melons (c.melo) cantaloupes, Crenshaws, Honey Dews and Spanish melons)are are not especially choosy about pH. They grow well from pH 5.5 to 7, maybe even higher, but the highest pH that I have encountered in the east is 7.
Star

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here