Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Potatoes setting seed

Posted by lovetogarden z4 NY (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 7, 07 at 23:06

I hope someone can help me with this problem. My potato plants flowered (sporadically) but when I tried to dig up new potatoes there was not much there. Now, where there were flowers are now round berry type seed pods. Should they be there or not? If not, should I remove them?
Before I started my certified potatoes I double dug the bed, tested the ph of the soil, ammended the soil, and used Gurney's Potato fertilizer. Throughout the season the garden has gotten ample rain and regular waterings. I hilled up the potatoes at least 3' high yet they grew way taller than that -now they are about 3' higher than the hilling height.
As this is the first time I've ever grown potatoes I wonder if any of this is normal? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Potatoes setting seed

Three feet of hilling is rather more than needed, I think. Generally, allowing potatoes to flower and set seed-fruit doesn't affect production much if at all. Sounds like possibly too much nitrogen.

o

What pnbrown says is correct.

Also, you may not have dug deeply enough to find the potatoes. Dig down to the level at which your seed pieces were planted. Many are apt to be at that level. None will be deeper.

Jim

o

Too much nitrogen? That's strange since I used potato fertilizer. I would think that the people who make it would know the proper ratio.
By the way, does the fact that there's not a lot of flowers affect potato production?

o

Already there may be more nitrogen in the ammended soil at the time you planted the potatoes.Not having lots of flowers does not affect production.Are the berry type pods green in color? If so then remove them.They contain Solanin which is not good for consumption.Remove green potatoes also.
How do you know that they are seed pods?

o

Hi Chaman - I don't know if they are seed pods. I'm assuming they are. They are round and green. I'm also assuming that I should treat them like I treat bulbs. In other words I wouldn't let the flowers of tulips go to seed because I want to keep the bulb producing. Is it correct to do the same with potatoes or does it even matter?

o

The thread linked below has an excellent picture of potato seed pods. Just scroll down to the pic. ;)

Unless you want to save the seeds for some reason (some do), remove them just as you suggested one does with bulbs. The energy going to them isn't needed and they ARE poisonous.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Potatoes

o

Hi lovetogarden: Yes they are seed potatoes.
Thanks Dave for Potatoes link
I Googled for more information where I found an article about potatoes on Wikipedia.org confirming the same thing.

o

they are seed potatoes...

Then perhaps I misunderstood you original post? Are the green pods growing in the picture I linked above what you have?

The green pods growing where there were some blooms are seed pods full of potato seeds. That isn't the same thing as seed potatoes. ;) Big difference.

In the pods, if you leave them to dry, will be lots of little seeds that can be planted to grow plants that will eventually develop small "seed potatoes".

Seed potatoes are bought at the farm center/store or ordered from seed catalogs and look like small potatoes with tiny sprouts on them. They get planted in the ground to grow potatoes.

Make sense or only add to the confusion?

Dave

o

It should read they are "potatoe seed pods" instead of they are "seeds potatoes".
Thanks Dave for pointing at the mistake.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here